Laybacks and rough water

I am referring to Kent’s video …
where he has someone lying on the back deck and one of the instructors points out that they have removed all of the large muscle groups when in this position. It’s on the video, but is only a short piece. It’s a bit contradictory to EJs video where he is teaching the roll/brace from nearly the same position (only in the water near but not on the back deck). Doesn’t bother me now because I can do either roll depending upon the boat, but I suspect it might confuse someone just trying to learn to roll who has bought all of the videos and wants to teach themselves. I think it might be better to pick one video and try to learn from that before mixing and matching various methods from several videos. I dunno - just a guess.

~wetzool

It worked …
another convert! :slight_smile:

I know - I have it

– Last Updated: Apr-20-06 1:46 AM EST –

I taught my self to roll mostly from it.

Please re-read my post. No one's method is torquing the kayak over from the layback position. You are confusing the finish position with the entire roll (or assuming someone learning would). Odd since you say you do all these rolls, and should know first hand they're all very similar in practice. The commonality is what's important. The differences just offer more options on the less important parts.

If someone sees a conflict between any of htese rolls/methods - they are not getting the point. I see absolutely no contradiction between these methods - just different ways of aprroaching the problem and differnet descriptions of the solution.

Some learn better hammering on one method. Using only one example may be simpler/clearer - but you may get stuck on some single element thinking it has to be some certain way and just keep repeating your mistakes.

Others, like myself, benefit from seeing/trying many methods. Might be confusing for some, but to me, seeing many different rolls clued me in to the key elements they share.

Where all these methods agree is where you need to be. The rest is style/differentiation for various reasons/uses/needs.

From what I see, people who are more open to variation and experimentation learn to roll more quickly and easily. Those who take many months or years to get that first roll tend to be those who keep trying the same thing over and over whether it works or not.