Learning the hard way about GP's

Before reading too much into this
My opinion is that making and using a GP is a lot like brewing beer: you can be as scientific and meticulous as you want… or not. Remember that the Inuit didn’t have analyzed stroke techniques or pefectly-made, sanded, laquered and polished paddles. They had what amounted to sticks, plain and simple.

Nothing wrong if someone chooses to be precise about traditional paddle-making and in using specific techniques for employing those paddles - not saying that’s the wrong way to go. But I think it’s important to point out that it’s not the ONLY way. Maybe by showing other methods, we can encourage someone who may be new to paddling or to GP’s to go out and buy a piece of wood, make their own paddle, and experience the fun of using something that they made themselves.

I bring this up because I can see where some folks might be scared off by some of the talk about GP’s and about using them. My GP’s look nothing like Don Beale’s or Betsie Bay’s and I treat them as the tools they are. I just think the “art” is sometimes found as much in the function as it is in the form. My 2 cents.

I agree This stuff gets way too
complicated. When I say custom I mean customized to a few simple measurements.

Though I would encourage making your own, it’s not that difficult: http://www.carvegp.com/

Your video is quite good
I have watched it through a couple of times. Eventually I am going to make my own, probably next spring or summer.