leg numbness/paralysis

consult an ortho
you may have a bulging or compressed disc causing the problem. Tingling and loss of feeling in the legs and ankles is very common with damage to the lower vertabrae, and sitting for long periods in the same postion definitely aggravates it.

The other day I paddled with a woman
my legs went numb, my heart started racing and I started sweating

…don’t think it had anything to do with the boat.

Paddlin’ on

Richard

Must be a pressure point
I found the Tempest very comfortable for hours, no problems. On my previous boat, a S&G I built from a kit, the hand-carved minicell seat took a few trial-and-error tweaks before it was comfortable. The pressure points were very small (not obvious), but after a couple of hours they made my butt/upper legs numb. After a couple of rounds of shaving minicell, I got it to feel right.

You might try sticking a piece of thick neoprene or thin minicell foam on top of the seat. If that helps, then there is a pressure point you need to remedy. If that doesn’t help, it might be that you need to experiment with the thigh-support adjustment, or possibly the backband position. Don’t wait till you’re falling-down numb to change the settings, though. Set a timer on your watch to stop, get out, and see how your legs feel.

The Jackson Sweet Cheeks pad might also work for you.

Richard the Goat

thanks all!
i appreciate everyone’s input. hopefully get some good weather saturday on the island here and i’ll get to adjustin’/paddin’!

leg numbness/paralysis
I read thru the msgs and agree that the first thing to consider is if it only happens when paddling.

I have probable MS as a diagnosis and I found on a recent trip I had great difficulty standing on exit from the boat; there of course that land legs thing that I think many experience, especially after a long paddle - we were doing about 25-30miles per day.

But if this was different, I agree that you may want to let your Dr. know so that tests can be done for other problems. It doesn’t mean you can’t ever paddle again but that you may need to make certain adjustments - to your seating as some have suggested or perhaps breaks in paddling time to stretch and relieve the tension.

Nerve pressure points may be compromised with your position, but does not mean you need to stop the activity.

Good luck and continued paddling!

Linda M.

Camp Hill, Pa.

Ive paddled a T170 for 5 years now
and before that 3 other boats—the seat in the 170 was the most comfortable by far—and I can stay in it without pain or numbness for up to two hours—that said, almost everybody, particularly those of us of a “certain age”, experiences some numbness after they have been in a kayak seat for a long enough period of time.

On longer trips where I cant get out periodically, I take my feet of the bracing peddles, and stretch them out straight and shake them out. Also to stretch my back, I just lean back on the rear of the cockpit—if youre little unsteady, raft up with another boat.

But I’ve never had the problems you have mentioned like collapsing in the parking lot—is this the first kayak youve owned and if not, did you have a similar problem with your first one(s)—I would be concerned enough to see a doctor were I having similar problems—good luck

no other problems…
and not even with other boats. i used to borrow my landlord’s carolina and never had a problem. this is unique to paddling this boat. i’m heading out tomorrow with some experienced people and will spend some time fiddlin’ with fit.

removing the back strap
was the best thing I ever did to my boat. Every hour or so I lean back on the back combing and pick my butt all the way up and let the circulation flow.

good idea let us know how it goes.

moving in the right direction
ok, so i had the foot pegs too close to me so i moved 'em out a bit. also raised the front of the seat (this seat has a lot of adjustments) a lot and it seemed to alleviate the problem. i saw a guy out there with a customized cockpit that had a pad for every little contact point. now i have cockpit envy.