Let's Talk Lunch

LOL, it took some experimenting. Dry ice would work, but I just use an insulated food container. I use these:

16oz Stainless Steel Food Jar | Thermos | Insulated Food Containers | Thermos – Thermos Brand

I fill them the night before, and put the open insulated containers in the freezer over night. I put them in a ziplock freezer bag so the ice cream doesn’t lose moisture. Next morning, just before packing, I take them out and close em up. By lunch the ice cream is at the perfect serving temperature.

2 Likes

I am going to blow some minds on a paddle in the near future - thank you!

For a day trip or couple day trip, usually, canned ardines, or vacuum sealed tuna or salmon. Maybe a couple handfuls of gorp.

1 Like

I’m generally a simple person. Lately for day trips it’s maybe a wrap, a cliff bar, maybe an apple and some trail mix if I haven’t already eaten it. For longer trips, the PB&J is on tortillas as they keep & pack pretty well. I’m often done & ready to go well before others are ready.

1 Like

I try to avoid sugars and grains as much as possible, so for me it is almonds, beef jerky or mini smoked sausages, Starkist white meat chicken in a packet and/or Ultra Fat nut butter. And there is always an electrolyte in a bottle…either LMNT or Ultra Salt. I alternate between the latter two. Ironically, when my usual group stops to eat I’m not usually very hungry yet.

2 Likes

So as I try to break away from my foil packets of tuna and crackers, @_KT with his chicken salad on croissants, @CraigF with his roast beast on pita (with pepper jack and Farmer Boy Greek dressing) have my mouth watering and will confound my paddle peeps.
But, again, @GregofDelaware with his ice cream is going to blow their minds.
Thanks!

Nothing better than properly cold ice cream on a hot summer day! Glad to be of help. Enjoy!

1 Like

We typically just carry a variety of snacks and save our appetites for the “PPPO” - Post-Paddle Pig-Out - at a local restaurant.

4 Likes

:fire: :fire: :fire:

On this note, should anyone find themselves in the Freeport Maine area, Bucks Naked BBQ is a great spot. My girlfriend and I stopped in for dinner after taking a class at LL Bean. I waddled out of there.

1 Like

It used to have multiple locations. It used to be near me with mediocre BBQ… glad that it is improved with only one location.

My lunch is some sort of granola bar, landjaeger and cheese and dried fruit. Usually in boat. It is sometimes hard to find a landing spot in the Everglades and that sort of lunch translates well to northern Ontario as well as it can be eaten in or out of boat.

1 Like

My limited palette required that I Google “Landjaeger” - like Summer Sausage then?

no. At least I don’t think so. I get mine from a European or German deli

1 Like

Sort of, but tastes different to me. Tastier, me thinks. It keeps like crazy so no worry about it going bad on a long trips. Unlike Summer Sausage an unwrapped chunk in your PFD pocket doesn’t leave a greasy stain (not sure if that a selling feature). It isn’t available everywhere. You have to look for it and maybe it’s not worth it to you depending on your circumstances. It works better than Summer Sausage for me though Summer Sausage is a favorite of mine and my go-to prior to discovering Landjaeger.

I once compared the nutritional value and can’t quote it but it fit my required food profile and tasted really good.

Mine is made here: Our Meats — Bavarian Meats

1 Like

Sounds like this landjager stuff is worth a try… I typically take homemade gorp (no chocolate in it though - it melts into a sloppy mess. I prefer adding cashews and dried cranberry instead), a garlic summer sausage (garlic discourages vampires and mosquitos, no?), and a wedge of Parmesan cheese. The longer the cheese cooks in a small food pack the more acid it produces. By the time its a couple days old its impossible to eat it without its bringing a reflexive smile. Its good to have enough to share.

1 Like

This is the detail that I’m here for. Thank you!
Yum!

Peanut Butter and Fluff is my go-to lunch. If you really want to limit the nutritional value, make it on Wonder Bread. It is indestructible - you can freeze it, you can bake it, you can even get it wet and it still edible (OK, maybe that is debatable). To change things up I might do PB&J.

1 Like

I really like a hot lunch (left over homemade veg. soup, spaghetti or whatever) in my Thermos Food Jar when the weather is cool. When it’s warm PB&J with a small can of Van Camp’s pork & beans.

3 Likes

You ought to be able to find it. Wisconsin is a hot bed of German sausage makers!

I take string cheese too. Yes that awful stuff packaged for kids… Its got so many preservatives it keeps even in FL humidity for two weeks though it sweats oil.

2 Likes

Chicken of the Sea Tuna Infusions is a flavored 2.8 oz single serving can of flavored tuna. Add a single serving size of canned fruit and you have a satisfying snack to get you through the miles that does not take up much space , going or coming. Pack out your trash. The tuna is pull top can with spork in lid. Spork can also be used for fruit. It is always ready to go in the cabinet and can survive in the kayak if you forget to remove it. It might be “C-rats” residual behavior. :thinking:

We often just take a snack. Our paddles are often 10 to 15 miles. We get done about 12 or 1pm. Just in time for lunch at the local diner after the noon rush. So we, club or without club, often don’t take lunch.

2 Likes