Life of Neck Gasket

veggie oil?
Wouldn’t the veggie oil degrade the latex? I think you’d be safer using silicone grease (available at dive shops).

Neoprene seals
If my suit was stolen I would probably replace it with a neo neck suit. I have a neo neck dry top and If I roll with it, I get a few drops but not a lot. Since my winter paddling is not hard core (I play it pretty safe) my chances of ever being in the water is just about 0. And with a PFD, your neck floats above the surface anyhow. I always like using the top with the neo neck since it’s so comfortable and easy to put on vs my dry top with the latex choker. If I plan to practice rolls then I use the choker.

Silicone grease

– Last Updated: Dec-01-11 3:16 PM EST –

I started using that in 2008, off and on. More off than on. It does the job of preventing skin friction, but it's hard to wash off. They don't call it "grease" for no reason.

alcohol based sunscreen seems to damage
I used it for a while and replaced a lot of gaskets. Once I stopped they lasted longer.

I have an nrsweb “semi” drytop with a neoprene gasket. I have never had any water come in it.

hostile body chemistry
I get as much as a year and as little as 3 months over the last 8 years.

Not sure if my body is hostile to latex or I slop sunscreen all over 'em.

as you can imagine I am pretty good at replacing them :slight_smile:

Alcohol based sunscreen
Hi Nate, It is the best! I am a redhead, so have tried a few sunscreens in my time.

It genuinely is non-greasy unlike the claims of almost all non-alcohol based sunscreens. I didn’t have any problems with rubbing it in my eyes when I was sweaty like I did with other types of sunscreen either.

The alcohol evaporates very quickly only leaving the stuff that blocks out the sun.

I used to use one here in Australia called Banana Boat gel. Used to be able to pick up from my local supermarket but now almost impossible to find.

I am looking online at present for a suitable one to pick - no brand loyalty for me if I can find something suitable close to home.

I would suggest that you Google what brands you can buy locally & go for it. I’ll bet you won’t look back.

Anytime is the time for failure
I’ve had wars with Scuba Shops over Dry Suit seals.

They fail - when they fail. No guarentees.

Learn to do them yourself, save a ton of cash and pain.

Make a Fix Kit, put in the car every time you leave.

oil
Veggie oil, and pretty much anything with the word “oil” in the name will eat latex like a bear eats honey.