Lift Me Up! Pungo vs Santee vs?

During the years I lived in Grand Rapids I would mostly paddle Lake Michigan near shore around Saugatuck, Holland, Grand Haven, Muskegon, Duck Lake and Pentwater. I was always in a 15’ sea kayak with a sprayskirt, spare paddle, paddle float and light that had a distress setting and I was dressed for the water temp, which I always checked before going out.

I did often see the local beach patrols and Coast Guard turning back paddlers attempting to leave the harbors, breakwaters and channels for open water when they were in boats shorter than 12’ and with open cockpits or on inflatables. This was particularly true on windy days or when there was significant undertow or cold water upwelling in early Spring. I recall 80 degree weather in May and June when the water along Lake Michigan’s eastern shoreline was below 50 F for several days. In fact last year there was a stretch of 40 degree near-shore thermal turnovers from Saint Joseph to Ludington well into warm beach weather.

They may be dubbed “Great Lakes” but they are inland seas. And the mortality statistics on them prove that short open cockpit boats don’t belong out on them any more than golf carts belong on interstate highways.

1 Like

Feel free to message me with more questions. The poles are just 2x2 pine boards. I did sort thru a few in order to find 2 that were straight and free of knots.

Here is a photo I took yesterday after we got back from a nice 6-hour day on the river. In this photo it shows how I store and carry the ramps along with the boats. It also shows when I haul 2 boats I add the extensions cross bars to my DIY rack. They are pine 2x4 and I painted the ends blaze orange and rounded all the ends as they stick out past the edge of the little Soul. When I leave the car at takeout I don’t want anyone running into them walking past.

I think I could get 3 rec kayaks across the rack upside down but haven’t tried it yet. :canoe:

1 Like

Celia, I’d say that the Visions have “partial” perimeter rigging. There are the typical “triangles” of reflective rigging at the bow and the stern. There is also reflective rigging just in front of the cockpit on each side. Behind the cockpit there are double bungees that secure a paddle with a paddle float quite well.

It wouldn’t be a hard job to connect the reflective rigging all around as the connectors are all there on the hull. I also keep the two Thule black straps (that you attach the bow and stern lines to while transporting) connected to the stainless eye straps and if the water isn’t too rough I usually head for those if I’m out of the boat.

Thanks for better info! I get the impression that these are well liked boats, but thanks to CoVid seeing a lot of boats unless pure rec is not happening yet. So have to guess from photos.

Sounds like the strap is a good resource.