light weight kayak for small person

I have heard that QCC is coming out
with something for smaller paddlers as well, but have no info. Nothing on their website either. Depending what it is (and if it is), it could be great for the paddler/locations described above - or not.

Basically if they did a lower volume 600 with flatter rear deck like the 700 - could be nice (super if they’d also knock an inch or so off the beam, really lower the rear deck, shrink the coaming, and do a bit narrower seat pan. A bit much to hope for though). If not - could be too wide and deep and short like 300/400/500.

Anyone have the info, or was someone pulling my leg?

Avocet
The Avocet is available in both Fiberglass and their lighter layup “Prolite”.

Need a little more info…
It’s always tough to make a recommendation based on limited information. Going on what you said were going to be your primary uses, I don’t know that any of the high-end composite boats mentioned would be ideal–especially without knowing your experience level. If lakes and rivers will be your primary destination, I’m going to take a radical departure from the others and suggest a plasic boat. Yes, they will be a little heavier, but considerably cheaper. For your size and weight, and assuming you want decent performance and plenty of features, I recommend the following: Perception Avatar 15.5, nice features, fairly quick, good size, skeg, larger cockpit opening, multi-chine hull. Liquidlogic Silva, just over 14 feet, approx. 49lbs, sealline rudder, rubber hatch covers, larger cockpit opening, forgiving hull design. Both of these boats can be found used in the $800 range, and I bet you can find some closeouts if you look. And as always, try before you buy.

Spelling error: Liquidlogic Sylva
sorry about that.

that would be perfect
for a smaller paddler,scary fast and efficient but significantly reduced windage.

Used Mystic(s)
As a few people have already mentioned the Mystic, I have several in my instructional fleet that were used maybe 8 times this year that could use a good home. Various colors, all fiberglass layup. Going to phase them out in favor of Curritucks as I don’t have kids camps lined up for 2005. Drop me a line if you’re interested.

See you on the water,

Marshall

http://www.the-river-connection.com

Low volume Q600
Story I got is the new Q IS a lowered deck Q600, a couple inches shorter too, with smaller cockpit.

First one to roll out in January. Nothing on their site about it. Call QCC for info.

Comment on likely use
Most of what I replied about are boats that would be at least somewhat capable of keeping a paddler safe on the ocean or other “big” water like the great lakes, many of those of the list extremely solid in dimensional water. That usually means at least about 16’ long. My husband and I tried shorter but quite decent boats on an ocean bay for a week once, came back home and got touring legnth bigger boats before we were in those waters like that again.

Point being - if most of your paddling is relatively calm lakes and rivers and the ocean trip is an occassional excursion, you could always get a smaller boat and join guided day trips when you were in the ocean. This would include using the outfitter’s touring boats. Not cheap, but a great and (usually) safe way to get a sense of bigger water. But if you plan to regularly go out into a big ocean bay or similar, your primary boat should be one that can handle those conditions.

By the way, I have tried the Arctic Hawk and it was fast and quite light. I suspect a Sparrow Hawk would come in well within any weight concerns.

Celia

plastic

– Last Updated: Dec-09-04 5:36 PM EST –

3 in that list can be had as rotomold
Avocet
Tempest 165
Chatham 160

I'm not sure about the light weight part. (I didn't see the original poster mention that either). I once thought I need a light weight boat so I can car top easily by myself. Turns out it's the length, not so much the weight, that's causing as much problem as the shear weight. A 16' long boat is tricky to handle whatever the weight.

It's my personal feeling that droping the weigh of a 60 lb boat to a 45 lb doesn't really make that much difference in how hard/easy to transport the boat. If one likes fiberglass boat, (it's more durable, a bit faster) go for it by all means. But if one thinks the saving in weight is going to make such a difference to be worth the extra money, I don't think so.

Oh No…
A “cult” of small QCC paddlers… No… No… No… Mr Winter, keep the the existing models. Your cult is thriving. Mo MAS! No MAS!

(C’mon, folks… All for fun. I’ll take a shot at the “Brit” crowd next, and then the ninja tuilik crowd, and then the pastel colored, ultra short throwaway plastic crowd… LOL!)

Winters is not QCC
John Winters only worked as an independent designer for QCC. He is not an employee and not responsible for their business decisions.

Mr. Winters is keenly aware of the importance of designing a kayak around the weight of the person using it - Design Displacement. If you were to commission JW to design a kayak for you, (I have) one of his very first questions would be about your weight and the weight of any cargo you intend to carry.

Greater efficiency comes with a narrower displacement window. Most kayaks today are designed for total displacements much greater than paddled. Therefore, they are not all that efficient. They may be dryer, suit a wider range of paddlers, and potentially carry lots of cargo, but the compromise is efficiency.

The QCC700 is realatively fast for good strong paddlers who are heavier than around 185 lbs. I’ve won a couple 15 milers in it weighing around 200 lbs. Yet, it is not nearly as efficient as it could be since the 700 was designed as if that 185lb paddler would also be hauling around camping gear.

What if you asked Mr. Winters to take a QCC700’s overall dimensions and refine it for a 210 lb paddler plus 10 lbs of drinking water - max displacement of 260 lbs? How would it change? What would it look like?

Follow the link for the answer.

http://community.webshots.com/album/101764624JDaLUa

A bit off topic?
Original post was for a 128# paddler with gear for up to a week. All around kayak, not racer.

BTW, I 'm Just Being Silly…

Kayak for a small person
West Side Boat Shop in Lockport, NY builds a “Solander”. It would be fantastic for your size. (15’6") All kind of layups availible, with the best workmanship! I have paddled Doug Bushnell’s boats for over 20 years. www.Westsideboatshop.com (click on touring)