Lighter kayaks for longer distance kayaking?

Tom, I just picked up a 38 lb, 14 ’ SOT. Maybe we should arrange a race of the light weights.

I’m happy to race because I don’t care (much) if I lose. My new-to-me Magic (16 ft) seems to move pretty well (for a canoe) but I wouldn’t doubt that any number of 14-14.5 foot kayaks would be faster. I’d like to get a 14-14.5 foot sit on top or one of the Swift Cruiser pack boats (14.8 or 15.8) or a Rapidfire one of these days. That boat that Marshall showed looked pretty hot.

Marshall has it re the cradles. I will admit that l often deploy creative language taking the cradles off and putting them back on. And a can of liquid wrench or something to fight buildup on the pins doesn’t hurt. I have H shapes, not the older straight pins.

But it is sooo much easier for the rest of the operation.

I’ve been using folding kayaks for 18 years and currently own 4 of them, all sit inside models. They weigh from 24 pounds (12’ Pakboat Puffin solo) to 37 pounds (15’ 9" Feathercraft Wisper) and I have paddled them in open coastal waters in the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans as well as several of the Great Lakes. For us older folks (I turned 70 this year) they are extremely easy to handle. You don’t need to dismantle them after each use: I set mine up in the early Spring and carry them on my roof rack for the season. Very easy to load a boat that light over your head and also to portage. And since I am now retired and like to travel, I can break any of these boats down into their duffel bag and either stash them inside the car (much more secure for road trips and don’t cut down on my gas mileage) OR check a packed boat and all my paddling gear as luggage on an airline flight. Took the 12’ kayak with all the gear I needed with me to England 3 years ago – no excess baggage fees.

Choices are fewer since Folbot and Feathercraft went out of business 4 years ago, but Pakboat still has a range of models that cost about the same as a good quality heavy plastic hard shell kayak. Most of their current models are convertible too, and can be used with or without the deck. An open boat is handier for fishing but a deck is preferable on open windy water. And some of their models can be converted from tandem to solo and back (though you have reasonable objections to going tandem.) This is my yellow Pakboat Quest – 13’ 6" and only 28 pounds. I can carry and load it with one hand. And my cousin in the red 24 pound 12’ Puffin out on Lake Erie.

2 Likes

Hi Willowleaf: Thanks so much for that information! Those boats look fantastic and I’m impressed that you are able to fold them and pack them yet they are able to be used in open water. I’ve heard of foldable boats but didn’t realize they were able to paddle that kind of water.
Cindy

1 Like

People have crossed oceans in folding kayaks and military special ops teams use them for covert coastal operations. Here are a couple of photos showing how I pack the 12’ kayak with all the gear for it in a regular rolling suitcase that is weighs a total of 48 pounds and is under the measurements for “no fee” airline baggage.

4 Likes

To willowleaf: impressive!!!
Cindy

On the Stellar - they recommend using their Multi-Sport lay up if you’re going to be working around rocks - in their literature they indicate it’s usable in up to Class 1 to 2 water. It’s a solid laminate, has some flex, but weighs in the same as the Advantage.

If you’re looking at folding kayaks, include Trek (trekkayaks.com) in your reviews. Not the least expensive on the market, but have some interesting technology, including the ability to adjust rocker on the water.

Thanks kattenbo! Excellent information! I will definitely look into both of your suggestions!

I’m wondering if anyone on this site has tried one of the folding kayaks that had a rudder. I looked at the Pakboat website and noticed they do offers rudders and skegs.

A Pack Canoe ( but they don’t come with rudders…some can be retrofitted) is a better choice for portaging.

I am very familiar with the Adirondacks and the St Regis Canoe area and a 20 lb pack canoe is not something you need to drag. Carts are sometimes difficult as you know. Had fun one day a couple of summers ago doing the Lila to Lows traverse. Its about 2.5 miles of rocky or railroad tracky portaging without a campsite in between.
I use my pack canoe in the ocean too as it has outstanding wave shedding capabilities ( I do have a removable fabric deck for dumping waves). Placid Boatworks RapidFire.

Pack canoes are deckless kayaks. Period.

My pack canoe has been a godsend on portages way tougher than the ADK’s. The older we get…

3 Likes

How about a Tucktec fold up kayak? There are quite a few and the choice depends on price, as does everything. See YouTube for examples and their construction and suitability where you expect to paddle. Stay safe. :tada::santa: from Scotland.

Correction to Kattenbo, the brand is Trak kayaks, not Trek. So the link you posted is a dead end. Here is the actual one: https://www.trakkayaks.com

Trak does have a cool design but their business model is that you have to pay in advance in full and then wait, often months or even years, for delivery. Even though they got hundreds of thousands of dollars in start up money through on line fundraising when the started up they still do not seem to be able to function as a conventional vendor. There have been many complaints about their long lead times and failures to make commitments on deliveries. The boats are sleek and well engineered but also heavier than other similar sized folders, which is why I was never tempted by them. In fact, at 44 pounds, the Trak 2.0 is only one pound lighter than my same length and style (15’ Greenland profile) plastic sea kayak. For me, a boat needs to be under 40 pounds to qualify as “light”.

1 Like

Thanks for the clarification on the Trak Kayaks!

Hi Riot12: wow! So many choices. This is great! I was only familiar with the Stellar previously and glad to see how many other options I have.
Thanks so much to everyone who has offered suggestions!
Cindy

1 Like

Kayamedic: I’m glad to hear you can use those canoes on more challenging waters, and that you are familiar with some of the carries. We have been on some really long ones in the past-we try to keep most to a mile or less but some of them are really challenging. We did one several years ago where the takeout was 3 miles totally uphill through the woods- that was one of my least favorites!
I’d consider a canoe, but would prefer a kayak. However my daughter would like to get a canoe eventually to take her kids out- so maybe we might want to add one of these as well wher I can use it and then share with them. We actually have 4 kayaks- 2 smaller ‘sport’ boats in addition to the Necky’s that we bring friends and family in. But the grandkids are 4 and under- not yet ready to paddle on their own…so the canoe would be preferable for taking them out. I will definitely check out your suggestion.

A pack canoe is a solo deckless kayak but much lighter than the kayaks you are familiar with. You are thinking of the old canoe tubs of old days. Canoes can come solo or tandem and some are racing machines.
The RapidFire is 23 inches wide and 15 feet long and is a solo… Comparable to some sea kayaks. Google Adirondack Boats, Hornbeck boats and Slipstream and Placid Boatworks. The Placid Boatworks Shadow is 16 feet long and even narrower and blows away kayaks in the 90 miler.

What makes a kayak? A deck. Do you need a deck in the Adirondacks? Pack canoes have seating on the bottom and are cut down so you don’t bang your hands. They are lighter and often quicker than heavy rec kayaks and are paddled with a double blade. My four year old grandson was able to paddle one solo on a calm day. He was on a rope leash and of course lots of rescue boats nearby. And he had a PFD. At 5 he paddled a mile. At 9 he did his own 10 mile trip with a group of us.

4 Likes

To follow on with what Kayakmedic details but more in line with a shorter 24lb packboat could be a Stellar Dragonfly. I’ve had a few clients add these to their fun as easy to paddle with or without dog/grand kid go explore without fuss sort of craft.

This has been a very productive thread. Keep it going for Cindi.

See you on the water,
Marshall
The River Connection, Inc.
9 W. Market St.
Hyde Park, NY. 12538
845-229-0595 main
845-242-4731 mobile
Main: [www.the-river-connection.com]q
Store: [www.the-river-connection.us]
Facebook: [fb.me/theriverconnection]
Instagram: Instagram.com/marshall.seddon

Thanks kayakmedic and Marshall! This has been so informative for me! I plan to spend some time over the Xmas break looking through the various websites at all the boat recommendations. I didn’t realize the difference between the different types of boats and this has been so, so helpful!
Cindy

1 Like

This is only partially true Celia. Ours are 4 feet apart and @Lillyflowers can’t span that gap. We figured out that you can unlock one and lift it just up slightly, really just unlatching it. The walk to the other way. Squeeze the handle unlatch. Start tasing the boat and walk to the middle and then the both arms come down. If the first one has re-latched, just do it again. She is able to lower her boat by herself now.