Lightweight 14-15 ft sea kayak

We folding kayak paddlers use inflatable flotation bags in the bow and stern, which serve the same function as bulkheads in excluding water and maintaining buoyancy. Plus folders have inflatable sponsons along the sides that provide both rigidity and flotation. People have crossed the Atlantic Ocean in folding sea kayaks from Klepper and Feathercraft – they are in some ways more seaworthy than rigid kayaks especially in rough waters. I know someone who uses a Feathercraft folder on research expeditions in the ice filled waters of Antarctica. I bought one of the Pakboats I’ve owned from a guy who uses their folding kayaks and canoes on his guided fishing trips to Alaska and Patagonia. Special Forces in many countries use folding kayaks for covert marine operations.

I have found that folders are easier to climb back into than rigid boats because they are so buoyant and many models can even be rolled, as you can see on the video I linked you to.

Also, I have landed on or bounced off lots of sharp rocks – people unfamiliar with folders don’t realize how tough they are. The hulls are reinforced with additional rubber – even if they somehow get torn or punctured, they can be patched in the field, even in the water (I carry a special kind of tape that works for this). And if the boat has flotation bags and a sea sock, you can continue to paddle even with a hole in it. A sea sock is a waterproof nylon bag that attaches around your kayak coaming and encloses your legs and feet – it adds warmth and keeps water coming into the cockpit from flooding the hull – I only use one when I have gear bags instead of flotation bags under the deck.

In 14 years of paddling folding kayaks, from the Atlantic to the Pacific, in coastal waters, rivers with industrial shorelines (concrete, protruding re-bar, submerged metal junk), all sizes of lakes and even rocky streams and moderate whitewater, I have NEVER had a puncture or tear. Because they are flexible they tend to bounce off or slide over obstacles.

Skin on frame boats are similarly tough. My skin on frame has a two-part polyurethane coating on 9 ounce nylon ballistic cloth…like what is used in protective military gear. I can hit the skin with the claw end of a hammer and it just bounces off. There are YouTube videos where people try to damage the skin on one with all kinds of tools.

By the way, a fiberglass boat can get really trashed on rocks – they can be patched, of course, but they are not the best choice for rocky waters and are not all that much lighter than plastic rotomolded boats. There are light composites around 14’, like the beautiful boats made by Stellar, but those exceed your budget. You might be able to find a used one, but even used those are pricey.

Inevitably, the choice is up to you. but don’t rule out folders because you believe they have limitations which they do not. It’s a shame that there are so few opportunities for people to see and test folders because they really are remarkable boats.

Don’t know if this 24 lb. Cape Falcon F-1 kayak is still available for $1200, but it would hit your budget and performance goals: http://www.capefalconkayaks.com/boats-for-sale.html

Damn, I’m actually considering getting one of his kits. Love the West Greenland.

RLL: I’ve got a West Greenland SOF made by Dawa Lodru of Monkcraft, another Oregon-based builder. It’s based on the example surveyed in Sisimuit, Greenland, that Brian Schulz raves about in his old blog section on traditional skin boats. Wonderful kayak! Have you heard when the kits might be available?

http://capefalconkayak.com/1935sisimuit.html

Photos of the build from Lodru’s shop, and on the water:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/snapdoodlekid/albums/72157622006152271

Good deal just posted on this new 32 lb. Pakboat Quest 155 on eBay. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Pakboat-Quest-155-kayak-MSRP-1595-/322339810307?hash=item4b0cf32c03:g:13MAAOSw5cNYLoeK

Some other options in stitch & glue from Pygmy:
Arctic Tern 14 - These have been around for a while and I have seen them come up for sale. I paddle a Tern 17’ and enjoy it. the 14’ is pretty much the same except shorter.
Ronan - a new design, you would probably have to build one or have it built for you. The price is in range if you build it.

The actual weight will vary from the listed weight depending on how good the builder is at squeezing out excess epoxy.