List of Kayaks designed for rudder use

My WS Tsunamis 14s are "rudder ready"
Channels and hole’s are there for the cables, screws are there to attach the rig.

I agree with the rudder sticking up …
in the air sucks.

It is the only design flaw that I have found with the QCC’s.

You could always get one without a rudder, and then buy and install a different make rudder that came all the way over and onto the deck.

If and when I every get another QCC, that is what I will do

jack L

Skudder might work

– Last Updated: Oct-12-15 10:05 AM EST –

What was the ruddered model that you tried with the single blade?

Based on your explanation of what you want to do, it seems to me the Venture "Skudder" I mentioned earlier might be ideal: a steerable tracking aide that is below the waterline when deployed and completely out of the way (and the wind) when retracted.

UK made Ventures are nice boats for the money - many of the features and characteristics of their more costly P & H brand brethren. My Easky tracks well without a rudder and those are now available with the Skudder. A Jura MV might suit your purposes better: 16' x 22". So far their longer models don't seem to be available with the skudder as an option yet. Review of the Jura MV:

https://www.canoekayak.co.uk/Reviews/Venture-Kayaks-Jura-MV-Performance-Sea-Touring-Kayak-Review/_rw3353_cat1

I think Starrkmoon Kayak, just across the border in Drumore, PA, is still a Venture dealer. Since they are near the Susquehanna perhaps a test paddle would be possible.

Epic foot boards are great comfot
and control. Much more pleasant for me than the Smart Track and other rudder controls that I’ve tried.

Brit boat designs and rudders
While researching another topic (weighting the stern to correct weathercocking) I found a discussion from 6 yeara ago in which someone mentions that “British Style” kayaks are made to weathercock “for safety reasons” and that they therefore are designed to have a rudder for tracking AND their owners expect to differentially load the boats to adjust for the tendencies. I had never heard that said about Brit boats before, but the participants in the exchange seemed pretty knowledgable.

Been told that by dealers
I have been told that our Brit designed boats are intended to weather cock, choosing that over any risk of lee cocking, as a safety choice.

If I have to pick one on safety grounds, I agree with them.

As to loading, yeah I have long since become accustomed to loading the Brit boats to mitigate some tendency for a given day’s paddle. My sea day gear is enough weight to have an effect, by the time you figure water and spare clothing and a bivy etc.

I load the Vela heavier in the stern to reduce the weather cocking, it is a very bow-tight boat even skeg-equipped. The Romany/Exploder are less prone with the big issue being a really sloppy loose bow. So unless we are talking surf or other high-maneuverability situations I load them with extra stuff way forward in the bow. In surf it is good to have that sloppy bow.

Interesting note, one day looking at the two loaded side by side on the roof of the car from the second floor we realized that the seat in the Explorer is centered and the seat in the Romany is shifted back. Hence the maneuverability of the Romany, and the flying bow even with the right sized paddler in it.

this
is illogical

WSBS EFT
Include the West Side Boat Shop EFT on your list.

How so?
What’s illogical?

You are beihg silly again
It has to be at least difficult to design a sea kayak that is truly neutral, maybe near impossible unless it is a plumb bow tracker. And those boats have their place, but not for everyone’s use.

So given that a boat may tend towards either weather or lee cocking, are you really saying it is better to design one where the paddler is more likely to have to battle for control of the bow than the stern? That makes really no sense.

I am assuming you are not challenging the concept of trim in a boat… but I might be wrong there.

If you want to have a debate the science I suggest you take it up with the folks that made these boats.

wuhwuhwuh
well if one sez: the hull is good, I am pleased, I recommend the design…

then in the next paragraph go on writing the hull’s characteristics needed a total reconfiguration to come up to functional standards…

reads like you spend winters in Maine !

Aaargh!
I paddled at Cold Cabin yesterday. Waved to Brad as I drove by Staark Moon. Don’t know why, but I think of Staark Moon as a whitewater oriented shop. Obviously, I should have stopped in.

~~Chip