Loading boats on fullsize pickup cap?

Maybe two
I ran over my ladder after loading my boat…forgot it was there after I tied all the straps.

Bummer.

Loading that 'yak
I have a S-10 4x4 and my preference is load from the side standing on a heavy duty milk crate, my santee 116 is only 36#'s,and using my foam v-pads because I can slide them closer to the loading edge–while in Florida I use a regular kayak rack because I try to go out every other day while i’m here and load from behind by just throwing my front floor mat on the fiberglass top and lifting it up and sliding it on—I’ve seen some outfits down here in the keys come from New York State that are as tall as an 18 wheeler road tractor. I just cant see how they could possibly load and unload them in a safe manner and I never ask either how they do it–

Tail dragger
Load from the back. Place the kayak at an angle to the rear of the truck. Use a tag line from the truck to the stern so the kayak cant slip back and some padding or a tail dragger at the stern. Lift the bow onto the rear saddle then lift the stern and shove forward. Reverse for unloading. If you are on a ramp or hill park the truck facing down slope. That will shorten the angle and make it safer and easier to load. You are never lifting more than half the kayak at one time. The rear saddle needs to be very close to the back of the truck. A tail dragger is a set of wheels that attaches to the stern of the kayak.

Ok, Im convinced
Now that I see others who make it easy to load on top, I went ahead and bought it this morning. An 06 F150 4X4 with 8’bed. Now to go cap shopping.

www.rollerloader.com

– Last Updated: Mar-15-09 9:59 AM EST –

http://www.amagansettbeachco.com/indexrl.asp?Type=RL

rayh, click the button at the link to read Sea Kayaker magazine review--the reviewer uses it with a truck canopy, i.e. topper. He tells how.

You might be able to make somthing like this from axle and suction cups, esp if using atop the canopy/cap/topper.

G'luck.

ANOTHER WAY
Check out Harbor freight, and mabe Northern Tools.

I bought a bolt on, under bumper receiver hitch, and a bed extender.

I’ve carried 14, 12, and 10 footers using it.

This is with a 6 foot truck bed and a bed tool box also.

Luckily, I have a harbor Freight at the end of my street, so there was no shipping, and I could wait until they went on sale.