Loading kayak on car

I have a device built by Seattle Sports that suctions onto the back and allows me to “roll” the boat from the back. I don’t recommend this just because it can be hard to align it where you want it. While I will use it when loading at home I find I just use my step stool at the put in to unload from the side of the vehicle. Then I just load it that way after my paddle because it’s easier than getting the thing set up. It’s not a bad idea for loading it and it requires a little less strength than just lifting the boat onto the crossbars from the side. But for me it’s too fiddly to be that useful most of the time. Btw, I use the foam blocks on old Yakima crossbars and nylon straps (like NRS straps) with some temporary loops in the hood and trunk to fasten the bow and stern lines. That’s for a kayak. I know nothing about SUPs.

1 Like

I have a 2018 RAV4 and transport two Delta 12AR (42 lb each) on my car top. I have factory bars to which I have attached Thule 69" ProBars and then Thule Dockglide kayak racks. I then slide them up on the racks using a Malone kayak roller mounted on the rear window glass. I was just putting a bath mat over the spoiler but I was concerned about cracking the spoiler. I am able to do this all my myself.

1 Like

I’m Pro Bath Matt. I was landlocked until I saw the YouTube vid on how to load my kayak alone. Good luck!

2 Likes

I drive a very lifted 2 door soft top wrangler. My SUP is 30# 10 feet 6 inches and I am 5’2". If plan to load/unload only your SUP I can share what I do.

1 Like

Thank you so much for your suggestion. This is extremely helpful.

Part of the discussion here concerns whether or not various methods will accommodate both a SUP and a kayak. I have NEVER tried them, but I wonder if an inflatable SUP might solve part of the problem? They certainly look sharp and are not too expensive.

Good idea. I have (4) iSUPs and we like them very much. I bought a 12V pump that plugs into the vehicle, so when I arrive at the water I unroll the iSUP first, plug in the pump, and set the pressure, then let it do its thing while I get the rest of the gear ready. Works out well and doesn’t add much time.