Long drive....long kayak/s

Hi Will…sorry you had to leave this paddling paradise! Thinking of summer days makes me yearn for a sunset on the water, when it turns a glorious silver.

@Will Just a modifier on the above, the bottom of my kayak sits 6 ft and a couple inches off the ground on the top of my car. I haven’t taken a ruler to it with the full set up, but I had to measure the height of things for a parking garage in Washington DC. It’s height limit was 6 ft 1 in, my car only had a couple of inches to spare with just the rails. Parking out far enough to limit the width of the overhang plus the height, not a lot of people are likely to encounter it. Have done the thing of asking to park near the office, but between the high amount of traffic that goes by that spot and the office having an entirely reasonable desire to keep a couple of spaces open, that has rarely worked out.

**…didn’t eve think about parking garages.

It is not cheap, but the Yakima Rack n Roll trailer is great. Aside from bringing all that weight down, the boats ride out of the wind.

I used to (many years ago) haul 16’ square stern canoe on a 1979 Mazda RX 7, as long as it’s on straight, and not too much crosswind.

Woah! That certainly is a lot of length and especially open air-catching volume for a small car!

Goodboy kayak V-bars are the most solid racks I ever owned. With an 8’ spread I have used them without bow/stern tiedowns for a 21’ boat more than once at freeway speeds. Not even a wobble!!

About $250 a set!! See Cliff Roach at Goodboy Kayaks.

Scott

1 Like