Long water crossings in canoe

Yeah I am now thinking the sea clipper 18’6 might be the move. I want the canoe to be as traditional as possible for the trip. The idea is to not have a spray deck on unless things hit the fan. The goal is to make the crossings in a totally open canoe designed boat. Being I’ve never heard of it being done. Definitely something to work my way up to and train for. Sea clipper seems like the boat to use

Solo I think I will be paddling a magic.

O lordy no. Have you ever paddled one? It pierces waves.

As an aside its not possible to stop and put on a spray skirt when the poop hits the fan.

Been there done that Prayed hard in six foot cross breaking waves on Superior as I was ego headed enough not to start the crossing with the skirt home. Halfway across the five mile crossing the waves were breaking in the boat and I was lucky to make it alive.

1 Like

Paddle Canada actually offers courses on ocean canoeing.

Here is a fantastic article: https://myccr.com/phpbbforum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=24193

I agree with the good judgement + spray deck + enough volume in the canoe (in that order).

A sea clipper or a magic? I’ve never paddled a sea clipper but I love the magic. Hmm I guess I have never actually tried to get a spray deck on while paddling a canoe. Like I said I’m gonna be sea kayaking the route first and training in the canoe for a year in Juneau before even attempting any crossings in the passage…

. So long and best of luck.

My paddle partner and I have a Kevlar Clipper Tripper that we love. We have paddled it extensively in the ocean, including around Bella Bella, where we crossed Hakai Passage in 2m swells. We attempted to get around Superstition Point, but those 2m swells were combined with 2 foot breaking waves were too much. We were lucky to find shelter and wait, but not before a couple of waves came over the bow. We did have a spray skirt, but it didn’t keep the boat that dry. It does cut down on windage though and is warmer.

I think for an extended trip, the Sea Clipper might be a better choice. It has more volume, but it also has more freeboard-hence better in waves. I don’t like sitting so far from my partner though.

I would suggest focusing a lot on your paddle stroke. Canoeing a tandem is much more technical than kayaking. I rarely see videos of good flatwater recreational paddlers, except marathon paddlers. They make good use of sit and switch. Either way, the following are important, but take time to learn: Burying the blade at the catch; keeping the paddle vertical throughout the power phase; ending the stroke at your hips; using torso rotation and leg engagement and for the stern, add an efficient J stroke while staying in sync with the bow.

Try different size and shaped paddles too. I like a small beavertail. My partner likes her otter tail. Some like bent shafts, and others like carbon blades.

Good luck!

Maybe I have missed it but is this trip with two people in a single craft or one? Important metric