Looking for binocular advice

I suggest you do not need any binoculars
I have canoed on large lakes with many islands in Manitoba. Places where it’s easy to get lost.

Trouble with powerful binocs from a small boat is unstable image. For sailing most use 7x 50mm. That is not much magnification and quite a lot of light and it’s damn heavy.

I only take my 7x50 on my boat ( again many islands , but that is Baltic sea Sweden ) and that is only for wild life seeing.

Back to canoeing: The best, I found is to land on islands with map and compass to make sure about my next heading as far as my eyes can guess. I beleive my bare eyes are better than binocs for that game on firm ground and later in shaky waters.

Binocs at dark, well…again bare eyes do see a lot better far away while canoeing over night.

Apart from wildlife watching, I do not use binocs anymore.

try a rifle scope…
A 3x9 rifle scope will work great, as long as you keep it in a dry bag when not in use. The lesser expensive models have good optics for viewing, and are much more affordable than opera optics.

It may also help to keep you headed straight towards your target. Good viewing, and paddling! mickjetblue

I have over 1/2 dozen binoculars…
I tried to find the optimum ones for years…I have 3 pairs that cost around $200 but the best one I own is my tiny 10X, waterproof, nitrogen filled Leica’s…I can see more clearly through them than most 8X…I was told it was due to the superiority of the lens…they cost a king’s ransom but they’re so light they were worth every penny…

Monoculars
Greyak, does having one eye on the horizon really help with stability? I suspect it might.

Jim

waterproof… not
I carry a small set of 7x20 in my PFD vest. They are compact and can be carried easily when I hike too.

One problem is that waterproof doesn’t mean waterPROOF! With any decent set, the right eyepiece has an individual adjustment and that allows water to get inside.

Fortunatly, I have never had a probolem returning them to the dealer and exchanging them for free.

Lust satisfied
Well, I went and ordered a pair of Eagle Optics 6x32’s and they arrived today. Pricey yes, but they are compact and close-focus like no other glasses I have ever tried. If anyone wants a pair of Brunton Eterna 8x25’s I would happily part with them for…$100.00. Not bad glasses, but not as ergo as the Eagles. I see them living in my mesh deck bag (WP & fogproof). Weather forecast is for 65 here in WV Sunday, so I plan on getting the boat wet.

SYOW Jim