looking for British style kayak

More stable than a Tempest?
But still a true Brit Boat? That’s gotta really shorten the list. Which Tempest? I’ve tried a 170 and can’t think of a single long Brit boat I’ve tried more stable than that - but I haven’t tried them all…

Of all the great reasons to shop for sea kayaks like these - having a leisurely stable photo platform would not be high on the list.

Stability comes with seat time. I could easily snap shots in pretty good chop in my boat now, that 2 years ago would have had me keeping both hands on the paddle.

Rent
I may be assuming too much from your posts, but it sounds like you have basically paddled one kayak (your Prijon) and barely begun demo’ing other kayaks.

It’d be good to rent different kayaks, not just demo them. Take them out for a couple of hours each. Unless you are the type of person who absolutely must love the way their possessions look, don’t get too hung up on the upswept bow thing. You may find out you really like how a certain kayak handles but it doesn’t look the way you want. You need to decide how important that is to you in the long run.

Some people buy cars based primarily on looks. If you are one of these people, you will probably be happiest narrowing your list to only the right “looking” kayaks.

But if you are someone who tends to judge by appearance AND later wonders if you shouldn’t have bought something else that works better for you, slow down. Expand your list to include non-Brit style kayaks. Start with a big list and rent/demo to start narrowing it down. If you at first restrict yourself artificially, later on you might kick yourself for not having tried a kayak that did not fit your “looks” criteria.

Stability for photography
Easiest way to add stability for photography is to raft up with a partner. Not only is the kayak more stable, but if there’s any wind or water movement, your partner can keep the rafted kayaks pointed in the right direction while you take photos.

I realize this doesn’t help during solo paddles, but if your only objection to a kayak is photo stability, this might be an option for you.

almost
I dropped a friends p&h and a 1/2" chunk of gel coat chipped off the stern. If you replaced 6lbs of gel coat with 1 1/2lbs of paint and 4 1/2 lbs of s-glass/resin you’ll have a stronger boat. Glass/resin is tougher than gel coat.

QCC400
for stability,check out their demo/used boats. In skegged kayaks the Chatham17 is desirable because of it’s handling in wind/waves.

But like others say,rent.

Hmmm.
My Aquanaut slid off of my car this past June in a downpour. It slammed on the pavement catching a metal signpost on the way. It landed on its side and bounced up far enough to give me a very painful and lasting bruise on my shin.

Upon later examination, the only visible evidence of the fall was some green paint from the signpost. No chips, cracks, etc…

THAT Bob…
Building Nick Schade’s Night Heron huh? Bet you live in CT, right?

hmmm
I had an espresso once that felt like cocaine

That is true
When I first paddled the Yukon at a demo event I thought it was not a particularly attractive looking boat. But it did everything I wanted (a good all around boat) and felt very comfortable so I bought it and I have never regretted it. So you are right, looks should not be a major factor in my decision and as you said, I would not buy a car that way.

I will keep an open mind to what you have said.

Primary stability
in the Yukon seems ok to me, and secondary also. But I don’t have a lot to compare with. As you said the Yukon does turn easily and I like the maneuverability but it has not been a problem for me in terms of turning when I didn’t want it to.

I am now starting to think “outside the box”, like maybe a Brit boat isn’t necessarily best for me if primary stability is more important to me than speed (but I don’t want a barge either).

I bet I made that one for you! :wink: NM

love the boat
but not stable for me at 220 pounds.

Hmm, that’s about what I weigh
+/- 5# & 6’-2" and I find mine to be very comfortable. I guess it’s what I’m used to.

Hey Scott!
Yup…you found me. Just paddled in San Diego while at a meeting.Can you believe it…only one paddle this summer on the east coast…and then in the pacific…still working on the new house…will get perennials/bushes in this weekend…soon will get back to the NH…with plans to use it in ConnYak pool sessions this winter…AND…to check out my new drysuit!

Let catch up soon…

Bob