Looking for local black bear knowledge/advice

^
^
^
This is very true. In fact the statement of “even black bears” is problematic to many because they seem to think that black bears are “nice” animals. I would agree with Ppines whole statement but for the word “even”!
I would say especially black bears.
I live in an area with a super heavy concentration of Grizzlies and I have had experience for over 50 years with black bears in many other areas. A black bear is more adaptable and is far more likely to get used to close proximity to people. Simply stated— that means they loose their fear quickly. A mauling from a black bear is MORE likely (for several reasons---- one of which is simply the number of black bears in the country compared to brown/grizzly bears) than it is from a grizzly.

A good piece of advice is to think of ANY black bear as if you came across a Rottweiler dog of the same size. Would you press your luck with a 150-400 pound dog? Remember the dog does not have large hooked claws, has MUCH weaker front legs and can’t climb like a bear. So it’s not as well armed as a bear.

"“Even” a black bear?
I would as especially a black bear!

We have a saying here: A black bear is more likely to maul you. A grizzly is more likely to kill you.

Neither one sounds like a good part of a plan to me.

Take ALL bears seriously and show them the respect they deserve. That way they are less likely to take you to school on that agenda.

2 Likes

So here’s a question….what happens when you realize they are behind you and acknowledge their presence? Do they take off? Advance? Stand their ground? Is their body language that of a curious bear or an agitated one? What’s your location in relation to populated areas, campsites or potential bear attractants when you are followed?

Predatory Black bears are sort of where this thread started. Incidents are either being reported more often or are increasing, but usually for people who are hiking, hunting or on a fairly remote trail. Unless something irretrievable happens to the kayak or I dislocate a shoulder and I have to hike out, I’m sticking to the shoreline of Lake Superior (although hanging my hammock at the tree line).

1 Like

KB,
My worst problems with black bears were in the remote Alaskan bush with no roads, no trails, and terrible access. This is partly true because there are so many of them, around one per square mile. We mostly moved around by helicopter. Most of those bears had no experience with people at all. They were very curious, but in a frightening way. They showed no fear and no agitation. Mostly we avoided them. The pesky ones that hung around we got more aggressive with, swearing at them, throwing rocks, hitting trees with tree limbs. I never had to fire a warning shot.

One more example of someone thinking they are going to have command over a wild animal, and by way of him being part of mankind, the animal is somehow obliged to fear and obey.

The elk didn’t get that memo apparently.

Wildlife is so called because they are WILD, but even the concept of “domestic” “wild” and “tame” are ALL in the mind of man. A deer doesn’t know it’s "wild’ and a cow doesn’t know it’s “domestic”.
A cow or dog born under a man-made roof is as natural in it’s way of life as a bear or elk is when it’s born in on a mountain side. Our terms of description are for us to try to communicate our notions. but the animals have no idea or concept of them.

No one was hurt, but I’d bet the driver got a bit of an education about wild animals. If he’s smart he may even have learned a lesson.

Reminds me of driving through Carson National Forest on my back home from a Millennium party in Ojai, CA. Thankfully my stupid move had a better outcome.

Came around a curve and one of those beasties was standing in the middle of the road. I stopped approximately 40 feet away and waited for him to move…and waited and waited. Finally after about 15 minutes of him just standing there, I tapped the horn quickly thinking that would do it. It didn’t.

I opened the door and stepped out of my SUV. Staying behind the door I talked to him in a stern voice thinking that would spook him. It didn’t. I stepped just past the door, stomped my foot and loudly said “Hey!”. He threw back his head and bellowed. “Never mind!” I said and got back into the driver’s seat and sat there until he moved his butt off the road.

1 Like

Never mess with wildlife, especially in winter when they are the most stressed. The guy in the video is a real ass++++.

The elk is not standing in the road, we have put a road in his habitat. That is an important concept for people to understand.

It reminds me of the old days skiing in Colorado. We never wanted to leave and often drove home back to Laramie late at night in the heart of winter. There was a short cut of 40 miles on dirt roads I could take in good weather through the National Forest. It was common in winter to come around a corner and see 25-40 elk standing in the road blowing steam 2 feet out of their nostrils in the mountain air that was below zero. I learned to wait for them to move, or to just drive quietly forward at about 2-3 mph.

1 Like

Yesterday I was at the Wild Sheep Show, the convention for the North American Foundation for Wild Sheep in Reno. I was able to talk with wildlife biologists not only from Nevada, but Wyoming, Alberta, Arizona, New Mexico, Montana, Oregon, California and Alaska.

We talked about sheep but also predators, especially bears and mountain lions. The agency people like to focus on fires, drought and encroachment by people into wildlife habitats. I think they have important impacts on wildlife populations including bears by their management decisions. There is little hunting pressure on many bear populations and they seem perfectly willing to try to co-exist with people.

We are having a severe winter. No bear reports currently. They may be up again by late Feb or early Mar.

Maybe this strategy is becoming common.

1 Like

Of course not. The friend will only get back up and push you down.

The preferred methodology is to shoot the friend in one or both legs.

Or don’t get off the boat . . . Still not sure if it’s a real post or a spook, but good advice. You’ll run out of friends!

Reprehensible post by the NPS.
The severe weather continues. Bears won’t be until late March at least.

I dont know if its reprehensible. Bad taste? They give advice like don’t climb a tree, don’t feed them, don’t try to outrun one, yet people ignore the advice.

It at least gets the message across that a strategy better be more realistic than putting on track shoes so you can outrun your friend. I view it as they’re trying to say people think its a joke, but its not funny!

It’s a standard Park Service message translated so Twitterheads can understand it.

1 Like

:laughing: :joy:

1 Like

This kind of fits here:

2 Likes

:laughing:
I was at the Ahwahnee many moons ago when another visitor learned why keeping Hershey bars in the back seat of a rag top car is a bad idea.

1 Like

@PaddleDog52 you do find the most amazing videos. The bear climbing the cliff was revealing and most shocking. I do wonder though, if you’re in Japan, does it make a difference whether you scream at the bear in Japanese or English, or is there a universal language thar bears understand. My guess is the diva bear is a former circus bear released into the wild. That was no accident, but then maybe I should hire a bear to open my meducine bottles.

We were in Gatlinburg when a guy left his grill chained in his truck bed. That frustrated the bear who heaved it over the side of the truck and swatted it around.
Bear 0, truck serious damage.

W
He shoukd have been glad it didn’t steel the truck.