Loss of balance when stopped

Good idea
I think you have something there. The bow does deflect water down and to the sides - if the shape of the hull is such that this creates a restoring torque (via rocker as you say, or just by having a flattish nose like an air boat so that water away from the roll axis is deflected downward) then the deflection of the high momentum water should enhance stability. The bow sort of begins to plane a bit before the boat gets into the actual planing regime, and the off-axis lift is the stabilizing agent. This is hull-shape dependent, obviously, so is not the whole effect, but is probably significant. Interesting.

Yep
It’s probably the case that this has never been addressed. That’s one of the interesting things to me about kayak-oriented research - it’s not exactly a heavily funded field, so there’s plenty of fundamental issues to figure out, and a lot of ‘established wisdom’ that needs to be verified or debunked - should be fun.

winter
I’ve got to get the shop cleaned up so I can finish the 1/2 scale model of the boat I’ll be teaching for the class this winter. And I’ve gotta finish the kit we build the boat from too. Looks like a number of the students from last year will be taking the class again this year :slight_smile:

So, actually have work to do boatbuilding this winter.

Bill H.

Yes, planing lift; and bikes
Not sure what to call the hydraulic phenomenon, but I had thought similar to www’s: the water streaming by a heeled hull provides some sort of buoyancy lift as a function of velocity.

Surely other canoeists have felt this phenomenon. If you heel your canoe to the rail while at rest (not moving forward), with your paddle out of the water and with a static body posture, you can balance the boat at that point but you will feel rather wiggly and wobbly.

However, if you get up some speed and then rail the canoe, with your paddle out of the water and your body posture exactly the same, you can feel solid as a rock. You could smoke a pipe and read Newton’s Principia – until you start slowing down and feeling wobbly again.

As to a bike, if you have the front wheel facing forward, it would fall over almost immediately when it is at rest. But if you shove it properly, it will roll forward for a ways before it falls over. Circus acts do this kind of stuff with bikes.