Loud hum from roof rack

its your straps
Its your straps-use some excess strap or string to cinch the 2 ends closer together and it will stop-the wind is blowing across the taut strap like a musical reed or the reed in a turkey call

This is what I did
to stop the humming on my VW roof rack: took a 16 oz round plastic bottle of Tropicana orange juice (like what you find for sale inside gas stations, fairly heavy plastic) and cut off both ends, then slit it down the side, and cut two small holes on both sides of the slit. Slipped it over the roof rack bar and then sewed it together using two passes of plastic coated wire.

Works like a charm, is weather proof, and since the plastic is clear not very obvious.

Musical Straps

– Last Updated: Aug-13-06 2:50 PM EST –

I had that same annoying hum as well but mine originated with my straps. The guy at the dealer mentioned that he puts a few twists in his straps and it eliminates the humming. Sometimes it works...sometimes it doesn't.

For me it’s not the straps
The loud hum, or roar, occus with an empty rack.

Windjammer is in stock
at some GI Joes. I didn’t buy one yet as I’m trying the bungy cord first. The nylon rope is actually working pretty good. I barely noticed the noise today and was driving around for about 3 hrs, including highway. I’m thinking problem solved.

Paul S.

I’ve moved mine
and have yet to pay the piper

By any chance, you watch Fox News?

That’s the cheap solution
driving around until you just don’t notice it anymore

LOL. I’m busted. (NM)

I just installed my Yakima rack…
On my Ford Taurus. I put a bungee on each bar and wrapped with 2 complete twists per bar.

There might still be a slight hum, but I have to turn the radio off and really listen closely to hear it.

our straps, in our case!
I have to say that our humming

always results from the end of the

strap coming looser…

If it gets a little loose,(on the left over strap end that is and it hums,

and then we fix it up and no more humming!

Jo

PSTIVERS3-'TIS POOL NOODLES FOR THEE
Pool noodles cut the hum right out of the bars -we’ve had them on the Jeep’s Yak round bar yak rack, and now run them on the Mazda SportWagon’s Thule square bar setup.

I have to laugh -once I was running fast in our red Grand Cherokee, and had really wide red noodle on the bars. I came up behind 2 people on the expressway, they looked in the mirror, and let me by 1-2-3 pronto. Must’ve thought I was a fire chief on my way to a fire (I wasn’t, I only drove that way, LOL…)

And you can get them in a whole range of exquisite designer colors to clash with whatever color car you have -Barney purple, glow-in-the-dark lime green, glaring mellow yellow, and of course, fie chief, er, engine red…

It makes it a lot easier to spot your car in those acrs-big mall parking lots when you’re actually using your car in between the times you

PADDLE ON!

-Frank in Miami