Low-volume alternative to my Gulfstream?

yep
and yep. the new lengths are same idea, different sizes.

personally I didn’t care for the knee/ thigh braces. lots of adjustability, just not comfy.

steve

I would try a glass Avocet
My brother is just about the same size as you, and fits his in his fiberglass Avocet just fine. It’s a really fun boat to paddle, and fits all the requirements you are looking for.

Deja Vu again…(Yogi)
I am 5’10" and 215lbs…also looking for a very similar boat. I found the Gulfstream cockpit to be rather large…though I am sure it could be padded out. There are a number of boats I have demoed recently, but no 16 footers. The Tempest 170 (own a RM) and Currituck both fit snugly but adequately, with the Currituck a tad tighter (all without extra padding). The Chatham 16 was too tight a fit(but apparently Necky is coming out with a wider seat pan…might work for you?), the Chatham 18 was perfect(a fantastic boat). The Assateauge was a tad large but could be padded out.

I have decided to build Nick Schade’s S&G Night Heron (see Product Reviews under Guillemot Kayak, or http://www.shearwater-boats.com/ ). It is 18’x20", fits me perfectly! I demoed his strip and s&g models…beautiful to look at AND wonderfully responsive. Nick designs some shorter boats as well.

If you might consider building, I would also also suggest looking at his brother Eric’s boats ( Shearwater Kayaks http://www.shearwater-boats.com/ ). I recently paddled two of his boats. Also great performance. Of course there are many other companies to consider…

Just thought I would throw out the building option, as I have found it tough to find the ‘right boat’ given my size and desire for a performance and low boat weight. Find a few boats with the characteristics you are looking for…contact the designer and find out where to demo the boats. That way you can customize your boat to your individual needs…PLUS experience the pleasure of paddling in your ‘own’ boat.

Enjoy…

Bob

btw: I have absolutely no affiliation with either of the Schades…just know of their excellent reputation and dedication to the builders who choose to build their boats.

Caribou smallish?
I use mine as my expedition boat…you can pack for a week in it if you break everything up into small packages.

I also use it for when I’m intending on paddling in rough water or tidal races, because it is such a great rough water boat.

But when I want a low-volume day cruiser, I take my Betsie Bay Recluse.

If you want a true low volume boat, consider building. A Sea Spirit, a Guillemot Night Heron (Greenland deck version), or a low deck Outer Island would fit the bill nicely.

Wayne

I meant “smallish”…
…in the sense that I thought the cockpit was a bit tight for me. Otherwise I figured that it had enough room for a moderate amount of touring gear.

Oh…
Then I see your point. I’m 5’7’ and 165 lbs, and the seat fits fine without padding (I like a slightly loose fit).

Thanks, everyone!
This was really useful to me. We’ll have icy water temsp here soon enough, but I may find time to wander downstate to Betsie Bay for a demo, and I’ll figure out where some other dealers are that have some of the other boats that were suggested. In the meantime, the Gulfstream ain’t a bad ride at all. :wink:

ndk poseidan
I am about your size and wanted a boat to use as a day boat. I can bearly squeeze in to a romany but not comfortably. I got a Poseidan which I am really pleased with. Surfs well and is easy to turn. They seem hard to find, I think most people who don’t fit into a romany go with the explorer. If I only had one boat I would have gotten an explorer too.

Steve

P&H
Try the P&H Capella if you can find a dealer in your area. They make it in 16’9" and 17’3" I believe.