low vs high brace, NOT in surf

Oops…
I think you meant to say, “low brace done improperly…” and kind of missed the point of the post because of that.

Pardon.

Rick

A pullup
isn’t really a good analogy since, at the start, all the forces in a pullup are vertical (thus, in line with the body). As you lift yourself, bending the elbows shortening the length of the levers, it becomes even less likely to result in injury. The muscles and soft tissues of the shoulder can handle that type of force even IF you are attempting a weight that exceeds your strength (so one is rarely, if ever, injured, doing pullups, even if overweight).

A high brace exposes the shoulder to injury because not only are the arms (more) extended, but the forces encountered are most definitely not aligned with the body. The amount of torque that the distant edge of a paddle can deliver to the shoulder can easily exceed the design of the joint.

Simplest fix is to keep the elbows as low toward the hips as possible for executing the brace. As the elbows rise toward the shoulder, the shoulder steadily loses strength and is more likely injured.

Rick

agree with ya for kayaks

– Last Updated: May-09-14 11:34 AM EST –

but find the reverse to be true for c1s and open canoes as well when in ww
and suspect, even though I'm inexperienced in a marine environment and longboats that what many are calling a low brace is actually a high brace done in a low position using the power face of the blade.

when needed?
Most braces, low or high, are done when they MIGHT be needed, not necessarily when they are needed. You enter an area of turbulence/clapotis and see waves coming and apply the appropriate brace, just in case. Or start surfing down a wave that might be too big and apply a low brace, just in case. Or see a large wave coming from the side and planting a high brace.

It takes some practice, and acceptance of some risk, to just paddle through these areas without bracing at all. Often one can learn that no brace was really needed.

terminology is misleading
There is not one “high” brace or one “low” brace. A forward stroke is the best brace and if necessary you can turn it into a scull (which is a high brace technically). Or you can use a reverse stroke and scull back to front if your paddle is in that position and that can be in either high or low brace position. In other words bracing is primarily paddle movement that you can do given where your paddle is. The hip snap is mostly irrelevant except to support your paddle stroke.

when it came to ww I was a float and

– Last Updated: May-09-14 11:09 PM EST –

and brace kinda guy- 12 bracing strokes in as many seconds- if I had only been paddling forward, I might not have needed to do any of that.

15:38 to 15:52

http://youtu.be/wCDP_O4Da_o

Practicing with words
as in the original post, the questions about which brace, when, where, etc. is all practicing with words.

If you practice and play on the water, you get to the point you don’t argue about which when, what… You just do as needed, or do not at all. It becomes mindless (without thought, nevermind words).

sing

certainly the goal is to be able to

– Last Updated: May-11-14 9:08 AM EST –

"do" not just talk about boating. I'm an advocate of the "go out and paddle" and see what works method. If you want to become a better boater, boat with folks who are better than you. You can pay for that or not. Pick their brain and watch and emulate them. I've got a friend who's got some serious skills- he'll give on the water pointers and then say "don't even think about coming back to see me until you've put 30 hours of time in, and "you need to be practicing the drills/skills I showed you and gave you feedback on when you were trying them out."
But talking is important as well. I gleaned a lot of information off of this one thread. "The shoulders and elbows in to prevent injury," "with more speed you're less likely to need bracing strokes", "kayakers tend to high brace more," "c1ers and canoeists are likely to include low braces as well," "which side of the paddle blade is loaded when paddling determines what type of brace is most effective","bracing can be as simple as a slap or dab when needed,""perhaps the goal is to paddle more and brace less" all of those thoughts are swirling around in my head- and that's interesting to me, and helps develop a vocabulary to "talk" about paddling. When working with less experienced folks you need to be able to explain as well as demonstrate. Ultimately, teaching is about "what to say, when to say it, and who to say it to." I've been accused of creating a bunch of "hunched down paddle slappers" at our beginners clinic. That's what $20.00 (the registration fee) will get ya with me. Of course they could always go and do it themselves. The important thing is that either way "I'm still a legend in my own mind" and they think I can paddle.

bracing
what sing said.

no problem. completely agree w/what you
wrote.