Lower Back

I like the nsi back band
Some boars are too heavy to carry without pain. Possibly a kevlar canoe that weighs 30# would be better

more "shots in the dark"
How high is your seat pan off the hull bottom?

Is your kayak padded out for good thigh contact?

Do you rely on your footbraces?

I’m asking the first question because I can paddle all day on my 'glass seat bucket, but I demoed a boat where the pan was lower and tilted backward relative to mine. My back was complaining in the short time I demoed the boat.

body position
You may also want to change how you think about “sitting up”. When many people think about sitting up they will tend to do it by actully leaning forward. Instead think about rolling your pelvis forward. This position will free up your body for better rotation.

Back Supports - Worst Thing for Backs
Back supports will just make your back weaker and worsen the problem. Remove the support and paddle without it to strengthen the back. Start out slow and for a few minutes at a time. Back rests or supports are merely a crutch and prevent rehabbing the back.

now you’re gonna get it
A bit harsh but I agree for the most part. If you have an injury it’s probably time to rehab it with specific exercises instead of paddling and lifting boats.

Otherwise I agree. Somehow we manage to sit and stand without back support most of our lives.

I’d get a swedish ball and sit on it at work for a few weeks.

Absolutely right

– Last Updated: Oct-26-11 8:39 PM EST –

Saw the back off every chair in your home and office. Car too while you're at it. It will do wonders for your back. Never been able to figure out why chairs have backs. What were they thinking? Plus it's a known fact that muscles are capable of constant effort over at least eight to ten hours, without needing any rest (i.e., support). No brainer, really.

Get Rid of them Heavy Canoes & Kayaks
Agree about lifting, especially them heavy boats that weigh over 30 pounds (get rid of them). Of course boats that weigh less than 30 pounds are expensive, but heck, I’d rather spend the money on light weight boats than on medical bills. Also, I’ve found the best way to rehab the back is by paddling. If I can’t paddle kayak because the rotation aggravates the back, then I paddle canoe or SUP for a few weeks until I can paddle kayak lightly for 30 minutes. Building up gradually to an hour or more over a period of 3 months, with the primary objective of being able to paddle a kayak with full rotation and effort for at least 2 hours.