Maiden Voyage - Sterling Progression Kayak

That really does look like a ton of fun! Looking forward to seeing your video!

1 Like

Bummed that my Express was stolen

1 Like

Sorry to hear that, Chuck. :rage: Was kinda of wondering why I haven’t seen that boat in your posted pics in awhile.

This happened in Alaska, or down in the lower 48?

sing

So, it’s helpful to look at video of the posture and moves of someone else who is much more skilled in surfing the Progression:

Headed back to the break today, as 3’ plus waves are still rolling in according to Boston Buoy. Will keep a mental image of “what” I need to aspire/work on.

sing

3 Likes

Ohhhh, to find clean waves such as those! It would be easy to become proficient surfing in that location.

Oh, I had some pretty nice waves this morning. Can’t say I surfed as nicely tho…:confused

Need to review video later.

sing

I left it in my condo in Reno up on the garage loft. When I was selling the condo, my son went to get it . It was gone. Put a notice on Bay Area Sea Kayakers and found it. Guy purchased from a mechanic who took it as payment for fixing my tenant’s car. Have a lien against the tenant. Hope the &$)&@ needs a new car or apartment soon.

1 Like

So, I finally took the Progression out for a couple hours of flatwater paddling out in Hingham Bay. Generally not a fan of flatwater paddling but wanted to get a better sense of the Progression’s flatwater characteristics and then to put it through some bow and stern rudder manuevers, and to do some sculling and rolling. For me, it’s best to do this on a flat day when I do not get distracted by waves and the overriding urge to ride them.

It was sunny, in the 80’s, with a very gentle sea breeze. Lots of SUP and SOT’s out around the launch. Looked like I was the only one with immersion gear in my 2 mm surfwetsuit. I paddled out of the harbor to several of the islands just to get a feel of the kayak on a “point a to b” type of paddle.

The kayak definitely showed a slight weathercock tendency if I didn’t paddle and/or make stroke and edge adjustments. I can address this with skeg deployment, or changing the trim by moving the seat a bit back, or loading more gear in the rear bulkhead (the latter not likely since i dont take much gear with me).

Everything else was pretty much as I expected. The boat turned very easily with stern and bow rudders. Which to use really depends on the context. Rolling and sculling just were, meaning these are generally as good as one’s techniques, rather than being too affected by the boat itself. Some folks mentioned having problems doing practice rolls in Sterling kayaks because of the high volume, upturned ends. These can worked against the kayak from rolling from the flipped side to the rolling side in the way that folks are used doing when practicing their rolls. It happened to me once but I just changed my paddle orientation and rolled up on the side initially flipped on. Of course, this requires one to have some comfort and ability to roll on either side.

Took a snack break on a (private) little beach on an island. Then headed back to launch and hauled out before it got much hotter with the high noon sun.

sing

6 Likes

My one year anniversary with the Sterling Kayak Progression has just passed! :clinking_glasses: It’s a love affair that is still growing. :sparkling_heart: I love surfing the Progression and am still learning to grow into what she still has to offer in wave riding capabilities. :rainbow:

However, I find myself wanting to go play more and more at the raggedly rocky reefs and point breaks nearby. I find myself hesitant in taking the Progression despite the supposed strength of the carbon/kevlar layout. Can I handle the uncertainty of holing the boat while out alone? I decided to not find out.

I have opted to add back on a RM longboat, having gotten rid of the Delphin 150 last year. If all goes well, I’ll have a lime green Dagger Stratos 14.5s to match my lime green Sterling by this weekend. The Stratos will be the equivilent of my “demo derby” ride, while the Sterling will be the “Grand Prix” ride.

Feels like I have come full circle. I am back to beginning of my rough water kayaking journey, which started with learning to handle surf launch/landing with a touring kayak. This innoccuous interest has expanded into a decade plus of obsession with ww kayaking, surf kayaking and waveskiing. Now, here I am again, playing more and more with longboats.

Look foward to maiden surf voyage with the Dagger Stratos this weekend (or soon after)!

sing

7 Likes

Good call on the Stratos. Basically the same reason I bought one a couple years ago…to protect my c/f NDK Explorer HV on those days playing near jetties.

1 Like

Yup. This is my FAVORITE surfing break but also the reason I had to learn fiberglass and fin box repair (along with my surfing)…

I surfed this break once with the Sterling but did so with mental caution while doing it. I find that it hard to really lean “into the moment” with that defensive attitude prominent in my mind.

sing

1 Like

just took ownership of a lightly used Dagger Stratos 14.5s kayak. Previous owner bought it as paddling platform for freshwater fishing. Quickly realized it was not suited to his intended use. Hence the boat is in near mint condition.

Have to do a little adjustment and outfitting.

sing

3 Likes

How many boats now?

As I posted in my profile: “I could be categorized as a paddle craft hoarder.”

sing

2 Likes

I have a lime green Stratos 12.5S that I use as my “marina” kayak. Great little boat that is very capable in rough water. I think you will enjoy your “new” Stratos!

2 Likes

Thanks! I really like the shape and rocker of this boat. It’s slightly lighter than my previous Delphin 150 but noticeably heavier than the Progression (now that I got used to a lighter kayak).

We are getting rain later today but,unfortunately, no significant waves to go with it. Just as well, as I am still doing modifications. So far, installed an under-the-front-deck pump holder; re-did the front rescue/perimeter lines through some vinyl tubing for easier gripping handles. Trying to decide whether to fill the unused space in the front cockpit with a foam feet rest, or just make a custom floatbag with sealable nylon (have yards of the stuff still from Greenland SOF projects).

Might go do the tidal park and play Sunday. Supposed to be sunny but 25 knot offshore winds are expected (although the winds would provide a good test of the weathercocking tendency of the boat).

Always excited to do a “maiden voyage” with a new craft in conditions!

sing

1 Like

My intent for the Stratos is feel more comfortable playing in rocky venues. But, I am a little leery of that big oval hatch cover in the back given the video below. My surfing kayaks are usually filled with float bags in the bulkheads. I intend to make some for the Stratos, but I am thinking of ways to back up the hatchcovers as well. I may need to drill as below, or I might try for a less “permanent” approach.

sing

1 Like

Finished outfitting the Stratos kayak with custom float bags and retainer (implosion prevention) straps over the large rear oval hatch.

Now just waiting for some waves to test the boat out. If I get antsy, may resort to the tidal park and play spot.

sing

3 Likes

Have fun! The Stratos is a very easy-to-surf kayak.

1 Like

Found this nice video of the Stratos 14s in surf. Rough water design combined with a capable rider in glassly waves… Nice!

sing

1 Like