Maine Vacation Recommendations

Schoodic Campground

– Last Updated: Apr-11-08 3:49 PM EST –

Ocean Wood Campground is in Birch Harbor on the east side of the Schoodic peninsula (44°22'60N, 68°01'50"W). The guy who runs it has lots of rules, such as no amplified music, and enforces them with Teutonic zeal. He takes great pride in the number of people he has kicked out of the campground for violating the rules. He told us the number, which I don't rembember (I think it was sixty something) but he knew exactly. I think he cut notches on his clip board.

The rule we ran afoul of was the number of tents permitted on campsites designated "wilderness". When we arrived a staff person told us to just pick a site. We did and set up our three solo tents. That evening we were told that we were on a "wilderness" site and were only allowd one tent. We said we were sorry, that we did not know, but that three solo tents did not cover any more area than one three person tent. To no avail, two of us slept in one solo tent and the other feed the mosquitoes.

On the positive side it was a very quiet, well kept campground; actually I would recommend it. I had to look up the name of the campground, we just referred to it as the Tent Nazi's Campground.

Yes Mike Brunton runs a tight ship
but when your in your tent at night you can hear the waves rolling over the rocks and no loud yahoos partying all night. I have stayed on the wilderness sites- but no dogs are allowed on them - fortunately I have family down the rd and they stayed at gram’s house.

Mike & his family have a great campground and because of the way he runs it everyone can enjoy their own camping and the sounds of nature rather than having to listen to the next family’s noise.