Make Your Own Gear?

Yeah
Or get a type IV cushion from West Marine for like $15 and throw it in the back.

Really…
I would be more concerned that someone is wearing a PFD at all (provided good fit) rather than whether it is certified.

Unless, one is making the most simple PFD, I don’t think it’s cost effective because you have to buy piecemeal the different components.

sing

Kayak Cart
Ive been looking at kayak carts… I need one to walk my kayak on and off the ferry. Cringing at the costs I decided to think of an idea of my own. So I was eyeballing my little girs little tricycle. hmmmmm… yep… has wheels…a little modification and sure enough, I think it will work.

Oh, and by the way, dont worry… she’s long outgrown this tricycle…heehee…

Will take some pics and post them when Im done.

Wish me luck.

Smiles, Heather

Just looking for wheels?
I think that the trike maight cause problems. the handle bars willneed to remain stationary. I would go to the local surplus or unclaimed frieght store to just get two nice wheels. Or get an old Golf bag cart at a garage sale or GoodWill. They have great wheels if you can get them off the cart.

I hope to hear how it goes, I was thinking of a similar thing to turn my Yak into a trailer for my bike. That way I won’t need a pickup vehicle at one of the local rivers…drop the bike off then trailer the kayak back to the truck! I’ll sleep good then.

Make your own gear?
Between my abilities and those of my paddling buddies we have made a number of things. Material to work with is sometimes the big problem. Try “dumpster diving” or thrift store shopping after major events such as Christmas or graduation, if you live near a college town. It is absolutely amazing at what some folks throw away when looking through the eyes of a recycle junker like me. Old bed support angle iron can be used to make any kind of support system you can imagine. Trashed bikes are the source for many of our “wheeled creations”. Blankets, back packs, and other items are routinely tossed when people upgrade. Old boat trailers make excellent canoe, kayak, and bike trailers. I have bought these for less than a $100, made a canoe trailer for six boats and sold them for over $800.00. No, I am not going to tell you my favorite thrift stores to shop.

Have fun!

Bill

Sun screen
My wife makes them out of sun screen for better ventilation.

DIY gear
I have made a lot of gear over the years, backpacks, sleeping bags, tents, stuff sacks, stoves… mostly stuff for ultralight hiking.

Check out this inexpensive source for materials, they even have a pattern for making a duluth pack:

http://www.owfinc.com/

If kayaks are your thing, check out this site on building skin on frame kayaks:

http://www.yostwerks.com/

Vince

build one for $30.00
All sorts of plans on the net for do it yourself carts…many from simple PVC…

Wheels
Borrowed the wife’s garden cart plastic 12" wheels, made a semi-permanent aluminum frame, and through bolted to the rear deck 12" from the stern. The assembly was light, and allowed just inverting the boat, lift the bow to a comfy pulling angle, and take off trotting to the next water. I even installed bronze sleeve bearings for $2.00 to fit the wheel to the aluminum axle rod better. Makes it easy to load the boat, park, roll to the water (roll into the water then invert) and so on. While the other portagers were trudging during the ROTC last year, I was proudly running by with my wheels. However, now they are stored back on the garden cart, waiting for their next race.

Also, am collecting wheels from the dump, have some, looking for improvements.

Hi Bruce

– Last Updated: Apr-30-05 6:31 PM EST –

Just saw your question.
Since your building it there is no "they" except YOU. Your building it. Add anything you want.
I built mine from a Field and Stream article that gave the reader permission to build it from that source. Mikes book; "The Six Hour Canoe" might give you all sorts of ideas as well.
Great little 45 pound boats. 15 foot 7 inches long if I remember correctly. Only 24 wide at the floor so you need a low seat or kneel position. I added a slat seat (floor mount) ala Chesapeake Light Craft's Millcreek models. I also subscribe to Wooden Boat and it was running a series on building the Millcreek at the time.
Have fun!

pfd design competition
Details are posted on the discussion board under, whoops, pdf design. There is a $5000 prize and you do not have to have a working prototype, just the design.

Busy busy busy…
Found a liquidation store selling raincoats and pants for $2 a piece… bought up as much as I could and I have been sewing all kinds of gear up.

Made up a bunch of nice dry bags out of the pantlegs of the rainpants.

Made up my own pattern for deck bags, and have gotten great results and compliments from local paddlers.

Yesterday morning I made a spray skirt for the back hatch on my tandem so my little girl can come along without getting wet. Came out super! Cant even tell it wasnt commercial made. Im thrilled.

For a gal that flunked home-ec, heehee, Im going crazy sewing my little heart out now! Lots of fun and a great feeling of accomplishment!

Neat thing about the raincoat material, is it can be heat sealed. Hubby bought me a wood burning kit that has a flat head attatchment in it. Using that like a little HOT iron, and a reastat to keep it from getting too hot and melting the material, it works super! My dry bags, and other gear I am making are just as good as the store bought stuff.

Also made my own pattern for pogies. Windblocker fleece lined with a water resistant shell, and neoprene bands where the paddle goes thru. They are great. Easy pattern.

Anyone interested a copy of my homemade patterns, Im always happy to share.

Anyone else been busy making their own gear lately?

Happy Creating!

PS. My kayak cart made fromt he two rear wheels on my daughter’s tricycle worked out good.