Malone HandiRack Inflatable Roof Rack

Hey ALG, ah’ seen her foyst…
Ah’ plan on livin’ in sin wit Miss Crabtree an’ have Miss HandiRacks as a concubine at me Luton estate.

FE

Another thing to consider
Is if you can place it on the roof there the roof is strong enough. On my particular car, the roof would yield and bend down with anything more than a 40 lb boat, especially after some mild tightening. Might not be able to hold as much as hard racks installed in strong areas just for this reason alone.

But if you drive an old-school heavy car with a solid roof that does not compress down from a jug of milk put in the middle of it (exagerration!), may be it will work well -:wink:

Ratchet bad!
My oldest and strongest son once ratchet strapped my $300 climbing tree stand to the trailer, bent it and cracked a support weld! Hard to judge how much pressure you are applying with them.

Tom

Soft car roofs may be an issue

– Last Updated: Feb-05-09 11:25 AM EST –

If you place it on the roof where the roof is not strong enough, especially if the roof is curved up.

On my particular car, the roof would yield and bend down with anything more than a 40 lb boat (only 1/2 of that is on the rear where the roof line is particularly is soft). Might not be able to hold as much as hard racks installed in much stronger areas, even though the inflatable rack itself will be fine.

Paint removal from your roof in dusty conditions or sand is also almost guaranteed over time but with care it can be minimized.

But if you drive an old-school heavy car with a solid roof that does not compress down from a jug of milk put in the middle of it (exaggeration!), may be that won't matter -;)

Malone Handirack on 2001 Honda Civic
Just tried this thing out for the first time this weekend. I have a 2001 Honda Civic Sedan and two 12’ sit-on-top Ocean Kayaks. They’re also stackable which helps immensely. After I inflated the rack and secured it to my roof I stacked the two kayaks upside down on top of each other.

I took it up to speeds of 65 mph on the highway but quickly exited because it was very windy and I was afraid one of my tiedowns might slip off. When it’s windy you can really feel the wind pushing on your car and the kayaks. I’d recommend this rack to anyone who doesn’t want to spend money on a metal roof rack or don’t want to modify your car. They work just as good and you can find them for around $80 on Amazon. Even if you have a small car it will still work. Again, I have a 2001 Honda Civic and it carried TWO 12 foot kayaks. Here is a picture of it. http://i.imgur.com/JkhKU.jpg

Malone handi racks.
These are sold in 2 versions: the approx $70 version for max 50lbs., the approx $100 version for max 180 lbs. I have the $100 because sometimes I use it for other than my 50 lb kayak. Works great, better than foam blocks, but like foam blocks the water wicks in from the straps in the rain.