Manitou as fast as a Capella RM?

Long boat myth

– Last Updated: Jun-15-09 7:55 AM EST –

I am still working on this article but thought I would share it anyway. First there area a lot of variables in hull designs. Length is just one aspect and there are many others that effect a boats performance. Width I suspect has more effect than length. That's my next study.

Just for my curiosity I took one of my boat designs and let the software stretch the length of the boat without changing width. Just stretched the boat so I could see what effect length changes had on the boat. Yes this is not a practical boat(s) but that was not the purpose.

What I found surprised me. The shorter 15' boat was "faster" at average speeds than the longer boats.

http://kudzucraft.kudzupatch.com/designs/info/longboat.php

I am working a study of the effects of width next.

The Capella

– Last Updated: Jun-15-09 9:41 AM EST –

is a good all around intermediate coastal kayak.. if you want more speed you would need to trim away at the stability.. then most people would be bitching about the twitchyness ..

If the Necky 13 doesn't have a front bulk head that's a serious limitation..

The shorter and wider Eddylines seem to do really well..

I like Valley concept for efficiency and rough water and high wind.. and develops more advanced skills..

The Necky's I've seen have a lighter lay up that's not as durable..

yes
I dropped them both from a 30-story building. In this case they were equally fast.

Try this with your Valley!!

– Last Updated: Jun-15-09 11:06 AM EST –

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tLaK7rOWgHs

This kinda diffuses your comment about Necky. BTW, I like Valley kayaks.. a lot. But these epoxy Necky's are insanely strong and I think the Valley guys would agree with that!

And what is the "Valley concept?"

All these companies make good product and all have had their duds.

If you liked that article…

http://www.ftlauderdaleyakfishingclub.org/mythbusters/mythbustinghold.html

I’d have put it a little differently (less personally/without stereotyping), but don’t want to spend an hour at the keyboard about this.

Durability
isn’t the same as compressive strength, etc… for example landing at the beach can sand away any surface, but what’s easier to repair and maintain?

The Necky I’ve seen perform very well, are very light, but the coaming had broken above where the seat connects.

How is their customer service? Is that something they would repair even after owing it a few years?

If they are so great as you say seems like they would.

Necky went form good to bad to awesome.

– Last Updated: Jun-15-09 2:25 PM EST –

You are speaking of the bad one's and I agree. When produced in Maine for a while they had some real issues. But, the boats built prior to that were good and very tough.

The boat you see in the vid is the latest production from Cobra Int. composites in Thailand. It's construction was totally re-engineered and is latest absolutely strong and tough. Hey, even the Valley guys as well as a former P&H guy were impressed. You can stand on the cockpit ring (or anywhere on the boat)of the new one's with no cracking or popping whatsoever. Try that with any other brand!

Look, I'm not dissing Valley or anyone. Owned and loved their boats. But give credit where it is due. And the epoxy gel-coat and construction of these Cobra Int. boats is far more abrashion resistent. They are epoxy post cured.

Also, some Brit manufacturers have been trying to use the same factory BECAUSE the product is so great. Who knows how that will shake out long term?

The unfortunate thing for Necky in this case is that the shit they pumped out of Old Town damaged their reputation such that even though they finally sorted it out and went way the other direction to blow people away with quality, for many the lingering memories of crap remain. And that is the real cost of cutting corners.

If and when you see one of the Cobra boats you will, be blown away. If anything they are way over-built.

Service and standing by the product?? When Necky realized the Old Town factory had some cockpit ring bonding issues they flew an R&D guy to Antarctica to go over some kayaks that were shipped there for an expedition. The cost to them was nearly 15k. The boats were fixed and performed flawlessly. Not sure about you, but I'd say that was pretty good service! To my knowledge they have done pretty good by customers who got the problem boats.

Again, to be fair, all companies have had dud boats and cockpit rings rip off etc. Including Valley. And they stand behind their boats as well.

I think emotion and bias are behind a lot of P-net postings.

Your right
Yup, looks like the pot calling the kettle black to me. The writer should look in the mirror.

Displacement error is easy to make or overlook. Someone questioned me on that but I didn’t make that mistake on mine.

I don’t think KF software is the the best choice for such a comparison either. Great program, just not for what he did.

UOTY
(Understatement Of The Year…your last sentence!)

One angry guy eh?

– Last Updated: Jun-15-09 3:14 PM EST –

His conclusions overall are good I think, but even he left some key variables out of his rhetoric. Good points but I too saw the irony..... I hope he's really a Captain, and not a fake!

Appreciate

– Last Updated: Jun-15-09 3:40 PM EST –

all the info Salty. I have no idea exactly where it was made. It was actually the composite part that drops down below the coaming that the seat connects to that broke. I can only assume from your info that it was an older one. I know she is very pleased with it, except for that. The composite was very thin where it broke. The older Valley composite seats were at least twice as thick at that part.

I should have suggested contacting Necky. I also don't want to get too involved, but if she brings it up again I'll have some more suggestions.

I was looking for a Necky to paddle at the ECKKF but no one was there with demos.

And, yeah, when I see one that has broken where it probably shouldn't have, it's hard to ignore.

I'll try to find out when it was built but it's not my kayak. And, like you say, any kayak can have an issue.

Edit: I know a lot of people bitch about the new plastic Valley seats, but I like the fact they don't break, lighter, and the entire seat can be easily removed from the hull.. it doesn't have that slab of fiberglass that drops down from the coaming.. also more comfortable IMO, and more hip room..

i took video
of the boats - dropping. they were fast.

but got in trouble cause the tv’s were right behind the boats.

that about sums it up.

it definitely told the whole story - as the tv’s were the most important - not design.