Massachusetts kayakers... please read

greenland stick
Could we define Greenland sticks to be bladeless sticks and not paddles?

Just wear it around your ankle.

House bill in Senate
The House bill is relatively mild, and has been negotiated with some prominent members of the kayaking community. In particular, it applies only to kayak instructors “for hire”, and mandates…

(a) first aid, cpr and water safety training for such instructors

(b) wet exit training to be given at the beginning if a spray skirt is used during a session

Note, both clauses single out kayaks, but it is logical for (b)(spray skirts), while (a) is gratuitous.

This is fairly different than the senate bill, which contains a number of bad provisions.

A number of us are talking to both House Reps and Senators and are trying to sort this all out. There are probably enough reps in the House who now understand the issues and will block the Senate bill. But the fate of the House bill in the Senate is less certain. In fact, the Senator sho is puching the, Robert O’leary, has been intransigent. So anyone in his district (mid and outer Cape plus Islands) who wants to call him and oppose his bill would be most welcome.

Cape & Islands kayakers
If anyone here lives in the mid or outer Cape or Nantucket or the Vineyard, it would be useful if you would call your State Senator, Robert O’Leary, and oppose the kayak bill he is sponsoring, Senate #974. Here is his page…

http://www.mass.gov/legis/member/rol0.htm

Basically, his bill contains a number of badly drafted, inaccurate and probably counterproductive provisions. You can see the bill here…

http://www.mass.gov/legis/bills/senate/186/st00pdf/ST00974.pdf

Likewise, if you are in Therese Murray’s district – lower Cape and Plymouth area – do likewise. She is the Senate President and is behind the bill, though not a sponsor.

–David.

Feedback
I contacted our State Senator (after I heard the bill passed the Senate) and my State Rep.

An aid for our Senator got back to me and we exchanged emails with the issues. He indicated this is the current status of this bill.

“the Senate bill is now before the House of Representatives. Rep. Straus’ kayak safety bill passed the House around the same time and is now before the Senate Ethics and Rules Committee.”

Canoes?
What about canoes? Do the same rules apply?

Interesting…
The law states a craft with a covered deck. So the usual canoe would not be under this legislation it seems, but would one that is really loaded up with float bags etc for WW have to comply? Maybe in the eyes of the officer beholding it?

Can’t see the Coasties being so confused, but local police looking to raise the town’s revenues may be another matter. This could turn into the same kind of income opportunity as is having license plate lights out in NY state.

The Coasties can’t enforce it, anyway
The Coast Guard does not enforce state laws, only federal. It will be up to the Mass DNR and other agencies to enforce it, which makes it all the more pointless, since there are no resources to do so.

Mass Environmental Police
That’s who would be enforcing this.

Hey I saw them enforcing the PFD law once about two years ago. Honest!

Definition of a “kayak” in the bill
is particularly disappointing. With so many contraptions that people paddle these days, it just doesn’t make sense.

On the Way to the Governor’s Desk
This bill got through the Senate on 1/6. It is on the way to the Governor’s desk. If you have trouble with it, it might be a good time to call or write Mr. Patrick.