Mechanics of Side Slip

Drawing, Prying Sideslips
Interesting discussion of the drawing sideslip, but we can pry a sideslip away from blade placement.

The drawing placement should be at or aft of the paddler’s body, placement varying with hull design. Peter’s suggestion of a vertical paddleshaft is sentient as angling the shaft changes exact placement. It’s important to remember the blade will stall past ~ 40 degrees; opening the opening angle of attack past that will stop the boat.

The prying sideslip employes a closing angle of attack, the forward edge of the blade intersecting the hull and pushing the boat in the other forward diagonal direction. Insertion point should be forward, just behind the knee but it boat specific as well.

As waterline length to width ratios increase, as in kayaks, exact blade placement requires less exactitude. As L/W lowers, like in a 12 foot canoe we need to nail the placement.

the best part is
when you have all of these down, and you’re pulling away from the launch. Using a side scull or draw to get away from the pier usually draws some reaction from the landlubbers. Sideslipping into the side of the pier, likewise.

Seeing more success
on my left side which I find odd, as I’m a righty and that’s my stronger side.

I learned today that the more vertical the paddle, the better the result, and that practicing along a stand of reeds is better than in open water. With the reeds, if I see I’m moving into them while still traveling along the stand, I’m doing something right.

When offshore, can’t tell anything because of waves and wakes.

And…
You can do it in reverse, too. Just what you wanted to hear!

lol and in solo canoe there are
eight different sideslips. Four forward and four reverse.

It gets worse in tandem canoe as there are 16.

Nah, the best part is avoiding things

– Last Updated: Aug-02-15 2:05 PM EST –

Rocks and deadfall in the water, big mats of bull kelp, jetties, and...

sometimes other paddlers who aren't able to control their movement well.

Rookie, these kinds of practice are best honed in calm, currentless water, to rule out flaws in body mechanics. And some days I find that one side is better, then the next time the opposite side is better.

Hmmm

– Last Updated: Aug-02-15 2:18 PM EST –

Four in each direction? I can only think of three (forward direction) for kayaking:

1. Paddle normally and then insert blade in neutral position before angling it to cause the lateral movement.

2. Transition directly from the end of a normal stroke to the drawing angle by slicing it forward into the desired angle. My favorite one.

3. Transition directly from a stern rudder glide, similarly.

Is #4 the sculling draw?

canoe side slips
With a single blade using only static strokes you can side slip using a static draw, a static cross-draw, and a static pry. You can also use a static cross-pry, although it doesn’t make much sense except as an exercise, as the static draw is usually more effective and ergonomically easier.

maybe but you’ll get no applause
:wink: