Menu question- nuts

Regarding your Diverticulosis you will find that you can eat anything once your ‘itis’ is cleared. I have the same problem and had an abscess because of misdiagnosis, the dr called it indigestion. It took a couple of months to fully heal. Once in a while I feel a flare coming on, so I do liquids for a few days. I find my gut can be sensitive to tomato sauce so I try to eat less in one sitting. Otherwise I eat pretty much everything. I love cashews and almonds. I also eat popcorn. I’m careful about those for a while after a flare.

1 Like

there are health and environmental advantages to favoring small fish in your diet over larger species. Health wise, the lower a critter is in the food chain and the shorter lived it is before you consume it, the less volume of pollutants (heavy metals, pharmaceuticals, microplastics) it will have concentrated in its body. And mass schooling fish like sardines are plentiful and prolific and their harvesting apparently uses less resources and has less bycatch than that of other species Plus the metal cans are recyclable material.

I admit it has been sime years since I fact-checked these arguments so I am open to any contrary information. I have noticed that the outdoor gear company Patagonia gas gotten into the tinned fish business and I have already sampled their lemon and garlic enhanced mussels. Pricey but tasty. And Yvon and company are known for at least trying to be environmentally conscientious.

That has been my understanding as well. It comes up sometimes in discussion of Tuna, near the top of the food chain, and mercury.

Sardine stocks vary by location, some places may become depleted, others sustainable. I look at a few of the sustainability ratings from different sources. I’ve been buying mostly Wild Planet for canned tuna and sardines although there are a few other good tasting and sustainable brands. I get canned, frozen and smoked salmon from a small family business that fishes wild Alaskan salmon.

I avoid the supermarket big three tuna companies like the plague. Price fixing, overfishing, lying about dolphin safety and bycatch.

1 Like

In the Maritimes, sardines (small herring) are caught most often using wooden-staked weir nets.

I prefer my Sardine packed with hot peppers.

1 Like

PFOS is yet another substance that bio-accumulates. Still, I like the taste of top-of-the-food-chain walleye a lot more than carp.