Merlin/Magic/Osprey in Wind & Waves????

Bent shaft paddle

– Last Updated: May-16-09 8:57 AM EST –

and a higher cadence might surprise you how quick it is. I have paddled an Explorer and Cetus with him and I have paddled the Bell by itself as well. It is a very quick boat.

I agree
I am guessing that Swift is aiming more at the Canadian tripping market so flare for big waves and higher carrying capacity is a sound design. the flip side of that is I found that it was a little further of a reach from side to side then I would typically like for paddling all day. If they had put a little reverse tumblehome in, would that have disrupted to much what they want that boat to do is something I can not answer.

Merlin II
I’ve owned all 3…Osprey, Magic, Merlin II. Others seem to like Magic but I didn’t…takes too much muscle and too stiff for turning…but it should be better in wind than Osprey. A Merlin II will handle wind noticeably better than Osprey…the rocker specs are deceptive and Osprey turns way better than Merlin. Merlin will handle any wind that you can paddle in without sinking the boat. Peregrine is a bit better! If your load is over 200 pounds the Merlin will handle it easily but you might prefer a Peregrine as being “more different” than your Osprey…Osprey is a fine river boat that can handle any/all conditions, Merlin II is also very versatile but leans towards lakes…Peregrine is a lake boat. If your load is light the Kestrel is worth a look, it will handle huge wind and it’s an effortless bullet - even faster than Peregrine.

Merlin II
Unless loaded stern heavy has a propensity for bow into wind.

Have one …a nice experience on Lac Antostagan it was not (that lake is about 13 miles long by a mile wide)… Waves were higher than the boat so lets call them two feet. (I am kneeeling)

Peregrine…a bit of a sticky wicket in the wind…Once it gets off course its lack of stern rocker (ignore the published measurements…it has none actually) makes it hard to get back on track… I am talking downwind. I have that one too and paddle it on the Gulf of Mexico. I like the boat and am willing to fight it. About a foot and a half Gulf waves…very choppy and quick period.

Osprey is looser than Peregrine…About the same as Merlin II However it has a much more flared bow for wave shedding than MerlinII.

Do not own Osprey… Have a total of about six hours and the looser comment is in flat water. Have not actually taken it on a decent size lake(meaning one with a ten or fifteen mile fetch)

Just remember a looser boat is easier to get back on track should you lose your path. Sometimes you just cannot avoid paddling at an angle to the wind.

You can modify you more easily than looking for the perfect boat. Canoes are excellent subject for wind ferries and finding that perfect angle where the wind shoots you where you want.

I still don’t buy it.

Kneeling in the Magic
I’m guessing you enjoy it?

I’ve read that delta shaped boats like the Magic don’t respond well to kneeling.

Maybe it’s all what you’re used to.

chad

Who Me?
I don’t like sitting.

If I did I’d kayak.

WesD’s Magic seemed fine for kneeling when I tried it. Don’t know why anyone would say the Magic is not a good boat for kneeling?

But then I’m not sure why folks sit at all if their knees can take it.

Tommy

bowler1, I almost missed your post
Please return to your signature threads featuring:

1. kayaking questions.

2. subject line in all capital letters.

Thanks.