Michigan Paddler, new to site

Concur about shuttles on a day trip when in a sea kayak. Too much time shuttling. Lots of coastlines to explore in most estuary systems, especially the Chesapeake.

A week ago an upwelling sent those coastal Lake Michigan temps down to the 40’s and 50’s. Take a look at the thermal gradient map on this report from August 3. I used to swim and paddle along that entire coastal strip that is blue, from Frankfort to Saugatuck during my years in Grand Rapids (and during summers when I was a kid and had grandparents in Muskegon). Also lost two family members to drowning due to a sudden storm off Pentwater. Not a lake to underestimate.

1 Like

You sound like someone I need to know. New to this site but I live in Hamlin.

I’m in the Hamlin area as well, lol! Looks like we should organize a local paddle sometime.

1 Like

I live in Big Rapids. I started canoeing in 2019. I am 56 years old and have canoed mostly rivers in the lower. The Pine, Pere Marquette, Manistee, and the Muskegon. Most of these paddles have been multiple overnights. I seem to like to do the whole river from its’ beginning to where it empties.

You would be someone good to know for my proximity to the Ludington area.

1 Like

Hi there thedes,

Do you winter paddle? There’s three of us from the Ludington/Scotville area that have been hitting up those rivers over the winter season.

Tundrawalker from this site is one of the guys I paddle with. He started a Facebook page called Michigan Canoeing that is a great place to connect for random paddles.

I have not winter paddle, though I am open to it. I will be sure to check out Tundrawalker’s Facebook Page. I see Tundrawalker earlier in this thread. I need to catch-up with these and other posts. Thank you so much for the information!

I have a YouTube channel. It is called My Life’s Reward for anyone that is interested. It covers paddling, ATV riding, backpacking, and two-tracking. Here is the link:

The people on this paddling forum have been friendly and helpful. I enjoy reading everyone’s adventures!

Kind Regards,

Scott Thede

Also, my apologies for taking a year to reply to your post. I will try to monitor this forum more often.

Kind Regards,

Scott Thede