Misconseptions about gelcoat

OK
The paint choice you were given involved two different kinds of paint, one was a single stage while the other was a two-stage. They use different toners entirely and quite often different catalysts.

Completely different products, not simply an optional clearcoat.

In terms of your car repair, the chipping is unfortunate but has little or nothing to do with it being a single stage or a two stage. There are a number of issues that can result in easily chipped paint, most of which involve application. Too much catalyst, not enough mil build, reducers that are too hot, improper surface prep, etc., all contribute to a lack of adhesion and/or reduced bruising resistance.

The shop that did the repairs should stand behind their work and refinish the car for you at their expense.

The tone of my previous response to you was based up the heading of your post to me, “How much experience do you have?”. I had already advised you of my experience but you opted for a confrontational tone and I responded as such.

Since we are now far from the content of the thread I would suggest we let this go and agree to disagree.

Holmes

How did a near new
plastic boat become brittle?

Was it excessive UV exposure or extreme cold temperatures?

Holmes

What I’m trying to say
Is that you may not know what you don’t know. I too did a lot of repairs. In the past few years I have been exposed to several composite engineers in aerospace and in the nautical world. At first they all said things that I didn’t like, cuz they went against thoughts I’d held for many years. Thoughts mostly based on marketing stuff, and common thinking. Subsequently my ideals have been blown away. I’ve test paddled 30lb. boats that held up way better than my 60lb. archaic lay-ups. I still have tons to learn, but wow, I don’t say the same things I did five years ago! I can pound on my 30 lb. boat with a hammer! I for one am not gonna dismiss the smart composite engineers, as they’ve more that prooven their points to me! I think onnopaddle has excellent info, and I think there are a lot of smart people here trying to share info…some of which goes against industry dogma…But hey, the “kayak” industry just may be a little behind aerospace and yachting eh??

well the whole
reason we got onto this topic was because of my analogy!

And I aplogize for the experience comment, yes you clearly have a lot of experience in paint.

But what I can point out about the “single stage” paint job is that the paint layer is very thin, so a rock can chip is easily. Where there is the original clear coat, the clear coat gets chiped but the paint underneath is fine. That is the point I was trying to make with the analogy of the clear coat to the gel coat.

structural component
YOu could make a kayak out of cloth and a matrix of resin and it would do what it’s supposed to do with or without gelcoat. YOu can’t make a kayak with gel coat and cloth or gel coat and resin. In other words the structure of the kayak doesn’t require gelcoat in order to provide strength or form.

what Scott said
The first gelcoat gouge my Mariner got I fixed,poorly. After that I paddled it. It’s 12yrs old and looks it. Doesn’t leak, doesn’t sink, doesn’t creak, doesn’t moan. Bottom has numerous gouges into the glass. Maybe someone will repair it someday. In the mean time,it works.

G2d is 100% correct on every reply here.

Homes … closer to gelcoat would
be all those dark blue Nissans from 10- 15 ? years ago … LOL

I have played with using gelcoat
AS the resin with glass just to see what happens when many differnt colors were used … interesting effect.

LOL!! So true N-M

tinted resin
is that how your boats are made? Where does the white come into the picture.

White pigment in Epoxy…

– Last Updated: Apr-10-06 3:40 PM EST –

Glass layed right into molds .... ZERO pin holes due to skillful wetout.

Forgot .... gelcoat as resin was to make a mobile .... nothing to do with boats really.

Maybe not exactly 100%
Kevlar fibers do absorb moisture into the fibers themselves. Glass doesn’t.

Yes, but Kevlar fibers will not absorb
water along their whole length. It’s almost entirely confined to the exposed fuzz.