Mission Accomplished

My sister and her husband had Loons, at my recommendation. Perfect boat for most of what they did. My only complaint was when they brought them to Maine and went out further.

1 Like

I’ve been paddling kayaks for the past 38 years and have owned 13 of them from a long, skinny surf ski to a little Epic GPX and now a recently acquired, lightly used Hornbeck New Tricks canoe. I regard my self as, simply, a paddler.

2 Likes

I live in the land of rec-kayaks. Thousands of them and only them except for the few canoes I see around. The folks on our river see our OT 10’rec-kayak as a high end kayak with its sealed hatch. My OT solo canoe even though it’s a restomod solo is seen as a curiosity and asked about.

People here paddle $300 or less open top plastic kayaks with zero floatation for the most part and some now are switching to the cheaper SOT models and I see that as a good thing in terms of safety seeing as hardly any adults wear a PFD and almost none have added any extra floatation to their boats.

They have great fun and enjoy lots of drinking while boating and for the most part amazingly they do it without incident. I worry about spring and fall water temps and people not thinking about water flow before heading out. Then there is the short distance to Lake Erie and misjudging the difference between an inland lake and the Great Lakes.

It would be great if these folks would come here and learn a little, but my guess is very few are doing that. The average paddle boater here has zero lessons and little desire to seek more info.

When we do get someone here like I was a little over a year ago or @szihn was a little after that we did get our questions answered and got some help with learning some basics. There wasn’t an abundance of similar minded folks to make me feel like this is the place for me. I don’t blame the advanced folks for liking what they like and wanting to focus on that. I don’t know if I would have stuck around other than my interest in safety and my interest in canoeing. I don’t really see much difference in a rec-kayak and a canoe and both are on the margins of this forum.

So IMO the people that need the most help first are not seeking it out and second if they do don’t have a good place to find it.
:canoe:

1 Like

At my local club we sometimes give guidance on the right boat for the trip - long or short. This summer I was leading a trip on a large salt pond and included a requirement for 14-foot boats. It was a 10-mile trip, subject to wind and waves, and I know from experience that folks in longer boats do better. I had one guy who was quite insulted that I didn’t think his 10-foot boat was appropriate. In the end I said he could come, but he opted not to, which was fine with me.

We also have trips on narrow rivers where shorter boats are recommended. At least with our club we are not trying to exclude anyone - just want to make sure that people have the right boat for the trip – long or short.

4 Likes

I view paddlers in one of three groups. Professional paddlers live to paddle and get paid by sponsors or are members of professional teams. The avid paddler’s life is arranged around learning techniques and exploring high adventure. Recreational paddlers just go out to enjoy the water. Anyone can move up or down or fit in anywhere they like or be all three.

The difference is the degree of commitment. Your level of commitment or desire to help others has nothing to do with your level of skill. If you’re an olympic champion or regional pro, you may keep your techniques to yourself because you want to remain competitive. Share or don’t share, it doesn’t matter.

This forum belongs to everyone. Even non-members can read it, which is how I found it. I joined to share as well as learn, because I don’t come in contact with many people who share my level of enthusiasm. Of all the people I know, only two share my degree of commitment - my sister and her son. I don’t look down on the others I took paddling simply because they don’t want to learn more. I have better things to do, but I’ll answer questions and help them if they want to go. You can lead a horse to water, but you can’t make it float on it’s back.

What I like to see is that no member or visitor is belittled or made to feel inferior for wanting to remain in a comfort zone. I’m here to share and learn. Snide comments benefit only the person who utters them, and it makes most others cringe. Be remembered and regarded for your contribution, not your negativity! Obsorb, ignore or contribute as you see fit. You never know when the student will become the teacher. We all started somewhere . . .

4 Likes

The first time I was on this forum( back when it was P.net) I was a recreational paddler.

Then I worked to become a decent racer in both flatwater and blue water. I designed a built a few boats during that time too.

Now I am back, on part, to help those who, like me, are recreational paddlers looking to be more.

2 Likes

I think we’re lucky to have the diversity we have even if it doesn’t mirror the general paddling population (I’d love to see more SUP threads). I think many newer paddlers (and some former forum members) just use Facebook. I remember one young poster just saying he finds internet forums cumbersome (too many clicks needed). But in the 25 years or so that I’ve been off and on this forum it has always tried to help newer paddlers that ask for help. I welcome more of any type of paddlers including experienced ones since 99.9999% of them aren’t on here either.

I think that part of the perception of attacks on rec kayaks is because they naturally overlap with the subject of safety which has been an emotional subject that attracts a lot of kneejerk judgemental comments as long as I’ve been on the forum. I find the safety topics super valuable but probably the most aggravating.

4 Likes

This is the second time today I heard facebook mentioned. I’m an admin /mod on a home improvement forum and we have quite a few pros that spend some time helping homeowners with DIY problems. One asked today what was going on no one seemed to be asking questions about electrical. No posts in like a month. One suggestion is that most people are asking questions and getting in fights or getting bad info on facebook where there are a million people and they are all experts. The reason they go there is because they are already there and it is simple just as you described.

I don’t have facebook and have no desire but I’m also being told information about local paddling and related stuff from someone that is on facebook. Stuff I wouldn’t otherwise know.

Maybe forums are going the way of chat rooms and email and talking on the phone even.

3 Likes

I think you hit the nail in the head. The social media landscape is alot different then it was 20 years ago when this place was in its prime

TomL, you’re right about safety being an emotional issue and a trigger. Once a person makes it clear they reject logical suggestions, the discussion is over.

There’s nothing wrong with disagreement. Since I joined last year, I believe some of the contentious topics actually helped improve interactions. Not sure why anyone would think there are too many clicks needed. I touch the app icon. Instant!

Not sure what forums were like 20 years ago, but this isn’t bad. Anything a paddler wants to know can be found here. Conflict isn’t necessarily the fault of members. Many times a visitor will ask a silly question like “what kind of kayak do I need?”, then become irritated because the answer didn’t fit a preconceived notion.

Me too. The closer I get to 80 the more rec and less sea I become( and whitewater a distant menory)… But I still paddle. . Many my age are on a walker or in a nursing home.

However I find social media less and less social and books better friends.

8 Likes

I just see Farcebook groups taking over all the smaller forums. It’s happening to Surfski, paddling, and others.

Personally I hate this. I’m not on farcebook and I like the cellular nature of a dedicated forum. As mentioned, Facebook is big and open, but that also means lots of idiots that can’t be avoided, and i dont want to pollute my brain with the FB feed just to see a nice paddling post.

If you actually go through signing up for a new forum (gasp, 30 seconds of work) you have already shown a higher level of interest and are joining a specific community.

FB Groups are the undoing of many good community forums. I compare this similar to US led Capitalist and Chinese globalization wiping out mom and pop shops so you can buy junk twice as often for half price. (Get that, you’re not actually saving any $ and you lost middle class jobs in thr meantime)

Similarly, Facebook is ‘easier’ and bigger and “cheaper” (effort-to-join wise), but it comes with a cost. Your “small town forum” is slowly dying. How’s that working out for us now? Not so well I argue.

For that reason, I encourage everyone to shun FB groups to the maximum extent possible (understanding that sometime you may have to use them).
Use site-specific forums for your interests. The community is better and has more to offer, IMO

6 Likes

We do not race, we own less than 6 boats, we just enjoy the water, the exercise, and do not try to maximize anything about the pastime of paddling.

2 Likes

Now that I have read some of the earlier replies, which did not open on my screen until I had posted my first reply, aint tech fun??, I see rec paddlers love loons, mine is the best all around boat, and I like it a lot. I do miss my 16 kevlar Wabash Valley, it was fast.

1 Like

The road to enlightenment is often bumpy.
With that said, the internet has only respect, decency, and honesty from it’s participants that keep it a place that we all want to be. Trust me when I say we are all either - on the crapper, having our first cup of coffee, our last drink, just finished a good (or bad) paddle when we post here.
Good internet citizens try to: read between the lines, and do not denigrate or intimidate,

5 Likes

With respect to Facebook, I am an active user. Like anything else, it has its place, and you shouldn’t try to make it something that it isn’t. 90% of my friends on Facebook are paddling friends or acquittances (some of you here), the remainder is family. I’m in groups that make it easy to hook up on trips, and it is nice to see what other paddlers are doing. I stay away from political debates and pretty quickly unfollow (vs unfriend) folks who like to post that stuff. Works fine for me, and I would miss it if I didn’t have it.

2 Likes

What is the going salary for professional paddlers? I may consider switching careers.

1 Like

I’m with Doggy Paddler.
How can you tell who’s been “driven off”?

Also, please reference the posts or threads that did the alleged driving.

Enquiring minds…

5 Likes

I’m sure the above question isnt a snear to highlight my ignorance, but if anyone is truely interested in professional “level” kayaking, there’s to much info to post. Look up kayaking, canoe . . . instructors and guides, and how to get sponsorship, which I consider (right or wrong) payment.

From what I saw posted, top instructor pay isn’t bad, if you qualify. There isn’t any information that I could find about being paid to paddle. The best chance for sponsorship is to become a top kayak angler, and attract companies willing to give you a kayak or equipment in exchange for endorsements.

Regarding my use of the categories Professional, Avid and Recreational paddlers: “The difference is the degree of commitment.” As an example, I consider boat and paddle maker’s “professionals”, because they have special knowledge and skill, and they sell a product, yet the professional, as well as the amatuer, can take the time to stoop to my level and help me. It would be far easier for a person at that level to say, buy my book, or buy my product.

The tireless patience to help another member because of the community bond is why everyone should be thankful for this forum, whether Professional, Avid or Recreational. That also applies to the casual web surfer who comes across the forum and joins because of the content not contention. As with most families, its easy to blow off criticism from someone who is close, due to famiarity or kinship. It would be tragic to drive a new member away because the message got lost in translation. That’s a loss for the forum.

If you want to be paid for participating in a sport, you’d probably make more money skateboarding.

Reminds me of a joke: A wife says to her husband, “You didn’t hear a word I said, did you!?” The husband looked up and says, “That’s a weird way to start a conversation!” Why would anybody drop out of the forum? You never know what will happen.

1 Like