Modular paddlecat/ kayak < $1200

strengthening vs injury
I agree that tired muscles are in the process of becoming stronger. But ineffective kayaking technique, whether due to lack of proper instruction or if it is forced by the design of the boat, can lead to muscle strains, joint injuries and tendonitis, which not only don’t provide any physical benefit but may inhibit fitness in the long run. There is a difference between a satisfying ache and the pain that indicates injury or overstress.

With any new craft, it’s best not to commit to all day outings until you’ve taken some short trips to dial in any adjustments and to test how your body responds to the new experience.

Checked Snap kayak in person

– Last Updated: Sep-02-16 7:12 PM EST –

I checked out the Snap On Top modular kayak (which is the same as Point 65 Apollo) in store today. Overall it looks fine to my novice eyes.

What I do not like is that its seats' back supports are too low. Seat attachment does not seem standard typical (per the sale person at Cabela's). But I can probably attach higher back supports with some modifications, or just slide some over. Probably no big deal.

Its bow does not seem aggressively sharp or narrow, thus likely trade tracking/speed for stability. Probably not for advanced paddlers.

Point 65 has a higher end Tequila model, which may have better tracking and speed.

The foot rest length is not long. I am 5'9" and my feet rest slightly curved on the 2nd farthest rest.

Its 24.2" wide (12'9" long) hull does not look that wide in person. But I paddled a 28" wide 9.6' long paddle on the same day, and felt that its width is wider than my ideal.

I wonder how would the solo form of Snap kayak, at 8'10" long and 24.2" wide, track? Probably significantly worse than the 12'9" long 24.2" tandem form?

Connections between modular sections are quite solid, though slight flex exists if I purposely shake sections hard. Should not be a problem on land or in water.

Most likely, I am going to order a Snap kayak from its manufacturer online.

low backs are good
Wait until you’ve paddled the boat(s) before worrying about extending the backs. I expect you will find modification unnecessary. High backs may be comfy for lounging while sitting in place fishing but they are NOT comfortable for paddling itself and inhibit efficient form. They tend to lock your torso in place and don’t allow it to rotate as you paddle, placing stress and effort on your shoulders and arms. My most comfortable boats have super low backs, in fact they are just narrow lumbar backbands that rest below my waist. Many kayakers replace the higher seats that come with their boats with aftermarket backbands from Harmony, Snapdragon and NRS. Based on the feedback reviews on the Snap on Tops, people like the stock seats anyway and they look more than adequate to me.

Also, your legs are not supposed to be straight out while sitting in the kayak, your knees should be slightly flexed up and outwards to help you control and balance the boat.

8 or 9 feet is pretty short for a kayak you intend to paddle any distance. I would strongly suggest you get some kayaking instruction because having good technique will help keep it tracking straight. Kayaking isn’t really “intuitive”. Having someone who is knowledgable show you how to paddle can save you from developing bad habits and will improve your enjoyment of the sport.

Thanks

– Last Updated: Sep-03-16 11:24 AM EST –

I will pay more attention to techniques. I do have a local friend who is a serious sea kayak builder / paddler and have been talking with him about techniques.

Should I add a fixed stern rudder, or glue on a removable skeg for inflatables, onto the Snap kayak, when I paddle the solo 8'10" form?

DIY skeg ideas
that I like:

http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=581457

http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/f26/$5-kayak-rudder-u-build-half-hour-19736/#/topics/19736?_k=9kk6em

jut wait until you see how it does
Some short kayaks actually track not too badly. So wait and see how it does before you consider any modifications. Your kayak builder friend will be a great resource for anything like that.

Shot Snap Kayak paddles reasonably well

– Last Updated: Sep-16-16 9:01 AM EST –

So I bought and paddled the Snap On Top modular kayak (which is the same as Point 65 Apollo), and like it.

The short solo version (8'10" long and 24.2" wide) paddles reasonably well, even without DIY skeg. Tracking and stability could be better, but it is good enough for my use. I did have to micro-adjust every (or every other) stoke, but I could keep it straight as long as I pay attention. Better paddling techniques and using the (12'9") tandem version will surely help.

Its rigid hull did seem to offer some performance boost, over my previous high pressure Saturn paddle board or (low pressure) Sea Eagle inflatables.

With my knees lightly flexed-up, my feet rest on the furthest step of the solo form, or on the 2nd furthest step of the tandem form. Again I am 5'9" and 145 lbs.

The height of the back support and the overall 24.2" width is just right for my paddling, as willowleaf rightly pointed out. Point 65's more expensive model "Tequila" is actually wider at 29.5" (and longer by 11" in tandem version) - I am not sure it would paddle that much better, especially after I add a DIY skeg.

I made a straped-on (removable) outrigger skeg easily and cheaply (from plastic sheets), which helps with tracking and barely adds any width or wet volume.

Assembly and disassembly is very quick as easy, once you learn the trick. Leakage is minimal and does not bother. Many Amazon reviewers complaint about tacking, difficulty in disassembly, leakage and buckle system hitting paddling hands. None issue for me, after extensive trails.

What I really love is its portability and molecularity. All 3 pieces of the tandem form can fit inside my 2012 Honda Civic, when all non-driver seats are folded down. The solo (2 pieces) form can fit together with a small and uncomfortable passenger. With our mid/full-szie SUV (2009 Acura MDX), all 3 pieces of the tandem form can fit, along with 4 comfortable passengers.

sounds like a success!
On all counts. You should cut and paste your assessment and add it to the P-net “reviews” tab for the Snap-on-top. That would be very helpful to others considering that product down the line.

Review submitted
and one more review will get onto Amazon as well.

As the designer of Expandacraft, I need to do a better job of getting the word out about my product. To address a few of the concerns and observations, let me say this: I’m a very small business and I don’t put out the volume of the BIG GUYS, nor do I have sponsored reviewers or millions of advertising dollars. What I do have is a very versatile American made product which meets the needs of many who are very happy with their Expandacraft. Let me address the question of width and if you can paddle it like a kayak. My standard paddle cat is the same width as a Hobbie Mirage but you do sit up higher which gives you a better angle in which to paddle such a wide craft. As for seating, you can put whatever kind of seat you like on an Expandacraft so you’re not limited to what you have seen on my youtube videos. Tracking and turning: We offer skegs as well as rudders for our craft so that’s a no brainer. The thing you may want to consider most is this, Expandacraft expands. You can put it together as a 12 foot sit on top one day and a 16 foot X 8 foot wide catamaran sailboat the next. You can put a motor on it, a pedal drive or buy the hulls and build your own crazy craft. Oh, and you can fit a 16 footer in the back of a Toyota Prius and shut the lid. Expandacraft is not a kayak, it’s much, much more.