Motorized/Non-Motorized User Conflicts

“Policing” Presence
Your articulation of plans leads me to believe it’s possible there will eventually be personnel on site. A monitoring presence would help to mitigate the risk of people launching craft they shouldn’t and otherwise behaving badly.

As far
as PA goes…

There are lakes with HP restrictions down to 5 or less and electric only areas.

If you could get a restriction like that in place, I would bet that there is a fishing community who would like to access the swampier regions of the river also.

Using taxes
"…however, to receive a very significant amount of federal funding, a concrete ramp (minimum 10’ width) must be installed. Bollards would not be allowed as the funding is tied to marine fuels excise taxes, and the primary purpose of the program is to provide motor boat access to waterways…"

While I commend your initiative, does anybody else see an issue with using a tax paid by a specific user group to fund something that they will be specifically excluded from using?

Ethics be damned?

– Last Updated: Sep-29-14 4:12 PM EST –

Yep. In this state, that would be illegal.

It's a little disturbing to me that this would be considered an okay thing to do.

However, the OP does state that the ramp would be usable to small motorboats at high tide.

Not far from here, there is a dirt ramp on a protected part of a river that is popular for paddlers in the spring season. It was traditionally used for bigger boats going down the larger part of the river. When the water is high enough to paddle the section above that ramp, it is now being used by jet-ski riders going upstream.

If you build it, they will come.....unless you make it illegal (theoretically).

We have several places where slides have been built for launching rafts and whitewater kayaks. They can't successfully be used in any way to launch motorized craft. My vote would be to design any such ramp in that way, and pay for it with funds designated for such use.

Conservancy funding for access

– Last Updated: Oct-01-14 11:53 AM EST –

I note that the Western Pennsylvania Conservancy is offering funding support for canoe access development in our state.

http://waterlandlife.org/371/

Perhaps the Nature Conservancy chapter in your state that might have such a program or you might be able to encourage them to adopt one?

http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/regions/northamerica/unitedstates/southcarolina/contact/

Power boats

– Last Updated: Oct-09-14 2:00 PM EST –

In the West, most of the big rivers have multiple boat ramps for all types of boats. A lot of them are paid for by funds from fishing licenses. On some rivers like the Sacramento we are the only canoes and we share the river with lots of jet boats fishing for trout and salmon. We co-exist because most people are pretty courteous. The power boats have fish finders and show us where to fish. In an emergency we could flag one down and get out in a hurry. I have had them give way lots of times in rapids.

All of those boat ramps and parking provide access for put-ins and take outs. Lake paddling with powerboats is more of a problem. People go fast, and in Calif they rarely slow down. I will never go back to Lake Shasta for instance.

There are Wild and Scenic stretches and plenty of remoteness in the West if you want it. Power boats and paddlers seem to get along okay. It would not bother me to see a new power boat ramp.

Power boats, paddlers, and lake lice.
Yeah, we don’t have much problem with power boats - even on rivers. But the jet-skiers seem to work at being a problem.

it is a shame
That you’re relying on federal funding insisting on a paved powerboat ramp in order to help bankroll the park. It’s too bad another source that wasn’t working counter to the intent of the park and local conditions of the river couldn’t be tapped. Then you could build the park without opening a gateway into the river via a ramp. Obviously, with a new park, the ramp will get attention and some use by motorboats.

paying for improvements
slushpaddler has brought up the age old argument. Fishermen and Hunters pay for most outdoor facilities and improvement through license fees and taxes on guns and ammunition through the Roberts-Pittman Act.

There have been proposals numerous times over the years to tax things like hiking boots, camping equipment and binoculars. They are always defeated. Human powered sports people are very outspoken but don’t really pay their way. This is controversial but unfortunately true.

It goes both ways
The last two states I have lived in did not require general paddle craft licensing, but both had certain waterways, or access points on waterways, for which I had to buy a sticker. This was because these lakes and streams had boat ramps that I did not need, or even want to use. But I had to help pay for them nonetheless.

another drawback
The proportionally larger “footprint” of power boats does not just show up on the waterways. Another drawback to setting up a riverside park to allow access to power boats is that their vehicles and trailers take up an enormous amount of parking space. You can fit 3 normal cars into the space required just to park a full sized pickup with a medium sized power boat trailer attached, not to mention that the layout of the lot has to allow them space to back the rigs in.

Also, per my observation of such marked parking areas at our local lake and river boat ramp sites, they seem to park with about 3 to 4 feet of space between each vehicle which means that there is more of a 6 or even 8 to 1 ratio of how many roof-rack boat haulers can fit in a lot compared to power boat trailers. Many times (especially on busy holiday weekends), when trying to put in to the Monongahela from the South Side boat ramp, I have had to unload boats and leave them while moving my car a considerable distance to the far end of the park because the near lot was completely jammed with power boat trailers, even in areas not marked for them.

You also have to design the ramp access drive in such a way that haulers waiting to put in or pull out do not obstruct normal traffic flow in and out of the park. At a ramp on the Hudson in upstate NY last August, we had to sit in our loaded car for about 15 minutes before we could get out of the small parking area while some mechanically challenged power boaters blocked the full width of the lot trying to get their boat onto a trailer. Since many riverbank parks have to be jammed into a pretty narrow strip of land, all these large land vehicle accommodations can be a real challenge.

As I have said before, I don’t object to paying the $18 per boat 2-year launch permit since it does give me “cred” when I am using the maintained facilities. I have rarely had any power boater challenge my right to use the ramps (I am careful to only used the paved areas if their is no grassy bank option and I stay off to the side and get in and out as quickly as possible).

I do find myself wishing there were more restrictions on jet skis and the most recent hazard to kayaks and canoes, wake boarding and tube towing. The water ski folk have never been a problem (perhaps because it takes some skill) but the proliferation of swerving, speeding (and often drunk) idiots bouncing their screaming towees behind can be a real menace.

Great point and it’s rarely acknowledged
Dear ppine,

You bring up a very important point that so many people quickly dismiss since they see themselves as low impact participants in the outdoors experience.

They have no problem availing themselves of properties and access points that others have paid for and yet they do not want to share?

Pardon the French, but that really frosts my balls. I do not hunt, have no desire to hunt and yet I have bought hunting licenses and duck stamps simply because I make use of the properties those licenses and stamps pay for as a walk in fisherman and I feel guilty when I do that.

Just imagine how much more access we would have if the people that think that they shouldn’t have to pay for their use actually decided to chip in?

It really isn’t that complicated, if you use it then you should pay for it, period, end of story!

Regards,

Tim Murphy AKA Goobs

I paddle the Charleston area
I take it you want funds to help establish the Park otherwise a boat ramp wouldn’t be necessary for paddle craft. Do you see motor boats on that stretch of water now? If there is a ramp a couple of miles down river that the motor boats use then they can already access the section of water where you want to establish the park.

If you need the funds from the Feds to get this off the ground then I would use it. I launch from boat ramps on the Stono River (James Island), Folly Beach, McClellanville, Buck Hall, Garris landing, and a little dirt ramp at Copahee Bay which is tide dependent even for sea kayaks. I haven’t experienced a problem with motor boaters. Most of the coastal boaters are well aware of being stranded by tides, and the hazards of shallow water. Most also understand the boating rules better than inland boaters. Where is the location of this tidal creek/stream.

The ramp in McClellanville you have to pay to launch, but the parking is limited so they tell you that it does not guarantee parking. In other words you have access but may not be able to park. There is trailer parking and single vehicle parking. You might limit the trailer parking spaces without breaking the Fed rules. Perhaps limited parking and a user entrance fee would keep most preferring to use the down steam ramp instead.

That said I would check in with SCDNR and see if they can provide you with some ideas. Tell them your plans and get their feedback. A place for fishing and crabbing at the park may bring in funds.

Jet boats can go places that many outbroads can’t, but they aren’t very common here, and neither are airboats.

Good luck

I am generally of the opinion
that more access is better than less. Trying to restrict usage just causes problems and hard feelings. I find that most people are pretty good at getting along.

There are a number of rivers near me with with boat ramps, and I have never had a problem. Motorized boats on rivers are almost always used by fishermen. Once they get where they are going, they just sit there. The “speed demons” can find better places to go. I have more issues with the fly fishermen who see you coming and cast out in front of you anyway. Parking is a definite concern - boat trailers do take up a lot of room.

Interestingly, I was paddling on a nearby river recently, and saw this new boat ramp and landing:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/eckilson/15114351837/in/set-72157646862147757/

Along with the boat ramp was a large parking area, a picnic area, and a boardwalk along the river. The concrete boat ramp seemed like overkill, but I’ll bet they used federal funding to pay for it.

tough but not impossible
Fishermen add plenty to economies. I’m not sure what fish are native to that river but you can’t lump fishermen together with powerboats. So you accomodate fishermen without placing a motorized boat ramp.

FWIW it sounds to me as if the OP is savvy at seeking out funding opportunities but has no other option than to include the ramp. All I am saying is that it’s a shame they’re in this position because in a different place, funding the park without having to include a ramp would be a possibility.

well…ok
But not every location is appropriate for a boat launch. It’s not about “sharing”, it’s about context.

Where is this located?
Because I do have experience in this sort of conflict, and I don’t want to give the people who hate the kayakers (and who used the excuse that their BAD POLICY is based on “what the powerboat people need”) any more ammunition to kick more of us off “their” precious Federal managed lands.

If you get my drift.

It went like this. Paraphrased, “Give us the candidates who run for office who really like you “low impact outdoor lovers types,” give us the money, give us the money, give us a tax increase, put us in charge, and now, now that we have all these things, Hah Hah, “you people” create too much conflict with the power boat people, and we’re all about maximizing profits, so we’re kicking you out. You’re not going to get a goat ramp outta us, let alone a boat ramp. Ha hah! Bye-bye!”

in the SE Michigan area
a shoreline w. a soft launch area for paddlecraft was created last year:

a local paddleshop sponsored it and called for volunteers.

Permission was received from the local governance.I believe the paddleshop, being local business owners, spearheaded this, and possibly had support from the local Chamber of Commerce.

Private funds were kicked in to buy the sand and transport it. The city may or may not have contributed.

Shovels did the rest.

power boats?
It is important to develop awareness between different users. Do you wave to people? If you are running a power boat do you slow down for paddle craft?

The jet skis and water skiers can be avoided by avoiding the warm water. Fisherman can be avoided by skipping the peak seasons. People need to learn to co-exist more. I carry an air horn for buttheads. A paintball gun is not a bad idea, but may be too aggressive for some situations.

above everything else said here,
you really should be commended for your effort. It’s not an easy road but it sounds like it’s well worth it.