Mud is terrible!

DK what is your opinion of
Bay of Fundy Mud?

You better have your tide tables right…to the minute to avoid it… and time the trip to the minute.

50 foot tides. Leaves lots of clam flats…a mile or more.

And the scenery is spectacular.

Its best to learn to live in mud not avoid it.

Down East
I dunno…reliable sources a

write Fundy isnot safe with floating debris. But I was on the Ipswich in 1950+

…the pop density really turns me off…

Willapa Bay area compares ? From Willapa’head, the horizon is all mud at low. An oyster op on 101…Long Island…

The miners ate the oysters.BAU miner

yeah those miners

Like trying mouth to head float off…get a planetary feel there

utube
for Fundy/ Willapa ?

tested the mud

– Last Updated: Dec-14-15 3:33 PM EST –

stepping off the fed dock so I could lever back onto the dock.

I could not lever back onto the dock. The mud now 6" above my ankle bone would not release one foot.

Leaving sandal/bootie in mud after a struggle getting foot out at risk for putting the extra foot down but not real hard n pulling on the dock, almost falling over into a death grip.

very serious mud

this was my first open area sea kayaking done first into a small craft warning where I practiced wave top turns then head back as the Naselle confronted an incoming tide. Ignorance you know....

Looked clear.... the Titan was swallowed into an unseen trough at the Nacelle's mouth...deck awash in a green walled sea then POP out we came.

Ranger was watching this from an air boat said he alerted as I disapppeared in there.

I bailed. remarkably the upstream beach at the mouth is of sand n cobbles...covered with some mud.

good hull the Titan

Here’s what I do
I’m a noob and have come across this a few times now since they are starting to drop our lake levels for the winter. … The last couple of times out I put a dry pair of shoes on the yak waiting for me to get in Before getting in the boat I take the muddy shoes off and throw into a trash bag.

Another idea I had but haven’t come across any yet is some long long golloshes (sp)

I saw someone the other day were rubber boots and switched out to dry shoes in the kayak.

Grandmother’s Plastic Bags
On the farm my grandma used to put plastic bags over her boots to wade out into the muck. took them off and hosed them down. I wonder if you couldn’t do something similar.

Personally I would find a better place to launch. Spots being “rocky” are not really an issue with a non composite boat. You might scratch and gouge the bottom a bit, but hey are made for punishment. In many areas of the world there are nothing but rocky, shell covered ledges to launch from.

Tingleys might be the answer
http://www.amazon.com/17-Knee-Boot-Overshoe-11-12-5US/dp/B000BX1K3W/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1450632144&sr=8-3&keywords=tingley+rubber+boots

I wear these on canoe trips all the time. They are pretty cheap and they wear like iron. I have used the same pair on countless canoe trips in very rugged country for more than 10 years. They come in different heights. I wear them over a pair of sneakers or low cut bean boots depending on the situation - could use pretty much anything. They might be a little tough to get off sitting in a kayak but if you get them big enough and lube a bit with some talcum powder you’ll be all set. Good luck!

That website is out of date
Tingley stopped making that model about three years ago. The closest thing they have to that now is a boot that’s about 14 inches high which is made from rubber that is MUCH thicker and stiffer, and also with coarse corrugation (traction lugs) on the sole. So, the new boots are shorter, about four-times heavier, and don’t roll up into a compact space like the obsolete model shown by your link.

I used to buy the model shown in your link, and still have a couple pairs. I was sure displeased to find out they are no longer made.

Butt in 1st, wash dangling feet

– Last Updated: Dec-20-15 1:27 PM EST –

That is what I do whenever possible, even for "just" sand.

The sea kayak is 19.6" wide with a small cockpit. But there is no high seatback, just a very low and loose seatband.

Obviously, this way of launching does not work if there are waves. It's fine for most situations,

Always
keep my feet hanging over the side each time I launch. Not only can I rinse off any sand, but also drain my Loyaks.

Sometimes it’s just a comfortable way to relax.

Relaxing

– Last Updated: Dec-20-15 2:28 PM EST –

Yeah, sometimes on an especially-warm, calm day I think it would be nice to paddle a Scupper Pro to a quiet spot and just let my legs dangle over one side while watching for critters to swim along, curious. I would want much warmer water for that, though.

Florida's springfed rivers sound darned good right now. Ibises perching all over, water clear enough to see an anhinga catch a fish and WATCH THE GIANT THROAT BULGE move down its neck, underwater! Manatees, too.

No danglee feet in gator country
Nor within two miles of the Standish Launch on Sebago Lake…

The danglees all of a sudden were pulled over by a Portland Water District Marine Patrol boat with blue lights. Turns out SOT’s are verboten too. Don’t think the law has figured out SUP’s yet.

Sebago is Portlands water supply… You’d think they drank right out of the lake.

Bummer –
I love those knee high Tingleys. Like you say that are light and they roll up to a small package. Maybe I’ll look around and see if I can find a pair at our local stores.

wait for the mud to dry…then it’s dirt

New York is even worse

– Last Updated: Dec-20-15 10:07 PM EST –

A relative goes to university there. She grew up in Northern Michigan where there's an emphasis on using and enjoying our natural resources. She and some friends went swimming in a NY lake. Nothing posted about "no swimming" and lots of row boats tied up along the shore. Sort of looked like home.

After the swim and back on land they were stopped by the police and asked what they were doing. They told the cops they had been swimming, having no idea that was a no-no. They were ticketed and required to appear in criminal court (!!). We went to the site and took photographs to evidence the lack of signage before the hearing. Sat through a couple of hours of criminal proceedings and given the judge was so kind and forgiving to the repeat druggies, we figured the girls could present their evidence and be given a chance to explain what happened to the court as they were representing themselves.

No such luck. Turns out that lake was connected to a NY reservoir. The judge treated them like they had attempted to poison the NY water supply, yelling, threatening to jail them for 15 days, lecturing, and nailing them with a fine and probation. My jaw dropped and I still can't believe the judicial stupidity of that clown.

BTW, while these "criminals" have long hair, they aren't covered with skull and cross-bones tattoos and wore very appropriate dresses. They're ballet students at university.

DIRT
IS THE ENEMY

Might be Worth Trying Amazon

– Last Updated: Dec-21-15 9:49 PM EST –

The 17", lightweight boot isn't on Tingley's website anymore, but the tallest boot that they do have, which is a model that they wasn't offered until recently, looks to be the same 14" boot that's also on Amazon (the sole is distinctively different from the older model). Further, the 17" boot on Amazon is marked "in stock". I can't imagine why that boot isn't on Tingley's website if it's still made, yet I think it's worth placing an order on Amazon for the 17" boot and seeing what happens. Maybe they ordered a truckload of them before they were discontinued.

"No body contact"
CO had those kinds of restrictions, too. I started a thread about it here years ago, lamenting the NBC rule at pretty Gross Reservoir in the foothills NW of Denver.

Dillon Lake was weirder, though. There, powerboats were allowed but no swimming, rolling, etc. NBC again, yet powerboat oil pollution was OK. Hmmm.

no its not
Dirt is your friend when you paddle in Canadian bugs. Blackflies bite less.