Multi-day trip suggestions?

Ontario is not Alberta
Let’s not paint all of Canada’s provinces with the same brush. Alberta does not have a sales tax and the GST is 5%, unlike Ontario which combined taxes are closer to 15%. We have camped and paddled at Peter Rushing Provincial Park in Ontario and, yes, the park fees were quite a surprise compared to the state fees we were used to. But there are states in the US which charge non-residents more to camp, too. The big issue in Canada is the cost of gas (multiply the per litre by 4 to get an approximate per gallon price). But, if you’re good at fishing, fishing at Peter Rushing seems to be great – our neighboring camper from Manitoba prepared wall-eye in 3 different ways for us: sauteed in butter, fried and grilled with a special seasoning (he had more than enough for his wife and himself.) That freshly made fish meal more than made up for the Ontario taxes we paid on that paddling trip.

What the heck are you referring to?
Since you never responded to my email I ought to have the sense to ignore you.

Not exactly north…
but you won’t find prettier, friendlier rivers than the Ozark streams. Don’t go in July or August if you want to avoid the heat, but the first half of June is usually pleasant weather, the mosquitoes are fairly rare most years, the streams are class 1, and Ozark gravel bar canoe camping is about as nice as it gets. You can’t beat the Buffalo In Arkansas for canoe camping, but several Missouri streams are also really sweet, especially those that aren’t wall to wall canoe rentals or jetboats. The Big Piney, North Fork above Norfork Lake, Bryant Creek, Beaver Creek. You’d probably really enjoy the upper Current or the Eleven Point if you went during the week and avoided weekends.

insects like water
Most of them like nonmoving water.

So can you suggest a place with no water and certainly no moving water where people might enjot a multi-day paddling trip?

Good grief.

…and NM is very cheap
Although mosquitoes are at their worst in July.

DATA !

http://goo.gl/5oZrwk

bzzz hummmmmmmmmm
you sent an email ?

the one demanding 200,000 pounds before Friday ?

OP what are your driving criteria
Do you really want to spend six days driving for a three to seven day trip?

I suggest Ontario or Maine or NY as they are all within 16 hours one way…

And she did say July due to work constraints… She did say that escaping the heat was a goal.

Can we refocus?

and the answer is…
http://goo.gl/7FA8Vc

Good info, KM
I am so used to fees that it’s a marvel to me that camping anywhere could be free. But the fees wouldn’t keep me out of Canada, for instance.

Driving constraints
For on-water trip length i should have specified 5 to 10 days.

We can leave for the whole month of July, so this summer we were willing to drive to Wyoming. Paddled for 8 days out of 28 away, and both daytrips and a 3-nighter. Usually we would not stay gone that long – although it does clear the head!

But, yes, i would rather stay east and drive only 2 or even 3 days than go all the way out west. So NY, Minnesota, eastern Canada. Of course those Ozark streams sound nice too. When my canoe partner retires, we hope to hit the road for a couple of months with canoe and kayaks. So all suggestions, even in western Canada, are very welcome!

As for biting insects, i just cover up. We certainly have them at the NC coast, both mosquitos and noseeums and sometimes biting flies too.

thank you
Someone here was freaking out about bugs as if this were a patio-dweller’s forum.

NC
Biting insects are a factor…remember the Niobrara ?

But if you know the NC Coast then try Sumatra or New Guinea.

Heat
Granted, North Carolina has high heat and humidity, but gone are the days when you could escape those entirely by going north into Maine. It can get beastly hot and humid in the northeast and stay that way for weeks. September is the nicest paddling month in my opinion.

you can’t avoid them
Everywhere I’ve ever been has mosquitoes in June and July.

Colorado
Blythe to Imperial Dam/Squaw Lake…2-3 not more.

I so look forward . . .
to my canoe partner’s retirement so that we can be in northern Minnesota or on the upper Missouri River in September!

Meanwhile, we’ll head out in July. It was interesting how much cooler Yellowstone was than Grand Teton NP this July because of about a thousand feet higher elevation.

if you end up spending time up in Maine

– Last Updated: Sep-26-14 11:43 PM EST –

...the most enjoyable waters in the upper woods of Piscataquis, Aroostook, and Somerset(maybe some of Penobscot) Counties are paddling the ponds that are most often less windy than the spacious lakes, although areas for camping are great at the big lakes on average...flies will be less of a problem nearby a windy lake than deep in the woods at a remote pond, but the candles and such do a pretty good job to keep the mosquitoes off.
You get to see a lot of wildlife regardless of where you are, but your vehicle should have decent rock-resistant tires as once you get beyond Greenville or #95 most all roads are dirt with some small rocks here & there. Well made headnets do the job, but summer months are pretty calm, bug-wise. It's not the Rockies for terrain and scenery but you'll find that it's not difficult to get away from society for a while....fwiw.
Steve

Steve… reference
did you want to mention the latest edition of the Maine Gazeteer is quite useful once someone has decided to visit up heah?

Its got all the boat launches in the state on the maps.

I’m devoted to Delorme Gazatteers . .
and have them for several states. I could use a new one for Maine, though! Good idea!