Music When Sketchy

I’ve been drawn for years now to the haunting beauty in Ms. McKennitt’s music. I didn’t know of her loss to which you speak Darkstar. Perhaps it is what feeds into the soulful melancholy and hope of one of my favorites:

2 Likes

We don’t have much lightning on the Salish Sea so I have no similar experience to draw from but as you revisit that event and if it were a movie what would you choose for the sound track?

Wind and thunder were sound track enough.

1 Like

My Sketchy Paddle Dance

Six prior days of steady rain, the Breeches is a thunderous pushy 9K c.f.s., hulking sycamores have pronated to the surface sweeping in great timber mats of boiling entrapment. Newly formed channels funnel fools into maple and oak slalom, and eddy lines braid a treachery of broach and pin in the sticks. Paddle, Forest! Paddle! Take that old, warped Sawyer cruiser stick of yours and, knobby knees spread to the Appalachian’s hulky bilge hips, flail that spatula port to off-side starboard, St. Vitas gyrations of steerage gone amok! A,a, a Danse Macabre of fiddlesticks and hammers:

Ah shucks. Guess you’ll need YouTube it to enjoy 4 manic xylophone get down with Saint Saens and the Polish youth orchestra.

3 Likes

Holy cow! You totally nailed that! St. Vita’s gyrations, indeed. Great imagery and perfectly matching music for such wild and dangerous ride. Thank you!

1 Like

Totally agree with you.

Been there multiple times both canoeing and kayaking. The last time was a few years back on Jocassee.

Truth telling lines of the borderline!

Canoeswithduckheads, you once said I don’t want to know where you’ve been. You just explained it. No doubt you also like Hector Berlioz, OP 14, maybe Carl Orff, Carmina Burana. Yes, I think maybe so.

Your Danse was very good.

Suddenly I hear John Goodman yelling from over my shoulder, “You’re over the line, Smokey! Over the line!”

Or maybe you mean my borderline (“Quiet, Madonna!”) personality disorder? Now there’s a sketchy swamp I often paddle through, mucklin in many eddies, flipping over as I ask of my selves,

Well, I tell ya, every time I hear O Fortuna (Wasnt that going to be the musical sequel to Steinbeck’s Cannery Row?) Im reminded of what a sketchy fella I am. Then, 'cept for maybe Hitler and Putin and a few other of that ilk, I take solace in the notion:

1 Like

You didn’t list Wagner. This is the first time you talked. That’s crazy. Wonder if you’ll be there with any paddlers.

I paddle with Duckheads. They’ll be there. Of course, it’s an alternative hell, wherein adult beverages are plentifully available, the fires are encircled and manageable, and the Devil has moved out - somethin’ about the new tenants being irascible but redeemable, not “his” kind of souls. I just hope a river (preferably not molten) does run through it.

Oh. And none of at least this kind of Wagner:

We’re big Mad River fans, don’t ya know?

Definitely Berlioz, Symphony Fantastique for you.

For the uninitiated:

1 Like

Make one wonder what drives us (and yes, I’ve knowingly gone out in sketchy situations too - bet most of us have) to do such things. Personally, and this may not apply to everyone, its cabin fever. Too long living alone in the country, not paddling, not really going anywhere… old pals start to look like ducks even if one isn’t an official duckhead. So we get the Deep River Blues. Then are tempted to paddle those spring floods, with the jammed up downed trees and whirlpools. Damn fool idea, but we have it and there it is.
There’s a Tommy song for that, too. I’d forgotten about it till I did a recent search looking for something else, but your six days of rain struck a chord…

4 Likes

Focus by Hocus Pocus!!!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:!!

Hocus Pocus (song) by Focus (band), from the album, Moving Waves…hehe