my canoe wont turn

sweep, draw. pry,
static pries and draws under way… There are some couple of dozens of variants to make canoes turn and if you want something more radical you can heel your boat.

Even a Wenonah will do 180 under way with a well placed two strokes.

Don’t forget
Once it starts turning then it does not want to stop turning. Be happy with what you have.

Peter

more
We need a little more data: What kind of canoe is it; brand and model allows looking up width and rocker. Your stance in the boat; sitting, kneeling, on which seat. Are you using straight, bent or double paddle.

Beyond switching paddle sides to allow the forward strokes yaw to turn the boat towards intended direction, a stern draw rotates the hull away from the paddle, a stern pushaway rotates it toward paddleside. Underway, stern quarter sweeps drive the hull in an arc away from the paddleside, reverse sweeps arc it back toward the paddle.

A second person in the bow allows teamwork that will turn the boat more smartly.

Of course there is more.

try

https://goo.gl/S0zHaZ

the average canoe hull doesn’t ‘turn’…the bow and stern work with the current

first example is turning into an eddy. Eddy current is slow, stream current is faster so the bow stops while the stern swings around shoved by the stream current.

second example is turning left, bring stern left of the bow then sweep pry or draw bow to follow.

If your heading upstream then the bow turns but you need to hold the stern somewhat stable to complete the pivot around the stern…there’s a need to keep the stern in a ‘slower’ current

if the hull is performance oriented, the hull turns.

utube search for: Wenonah rendezvous bridge

Sorry, but
its the paddler, not the canoe.

Maybe you can trade with someone who has a “my canoe wont go straight”.

anyone notice they are preaching to the
vapor?

The OP is clearly not interested in an honest answer.

Yeah…
it must all be the canoe’s fault. Some horses can be like that.

Heheheh…

– Last Updated: Sep-14-15 10:56 AM EST –

....I was thinking the same thing, Kim (LOL)! I believe you'all got "Catfished" by a "Troll?"

Try Turning this Rudderless Outrigger
From Tahiti, that’s designed to track straight ahead in “clapotis” water:

http://vimeo.com/124286091

Give it a try? You might even be able to surf too?

Yep, you even sit inside…

When I got my first…
J-200 (racing canoe), I asked the pros: “how the heck do you turn this thing ?” The answer was “Lean and pray”

I evidently got the lean down good, but didn’t pray hard enough, since I swam an awful lot!

Jack L

There You Go - Got Me Searching
All over the house for my old CroZier Racing Canoes T-shirt that a friend in Oconomowoc, WI gave me 23 years ago, after she beat me bad racing up and down the winding river behind her house in them racing canoes. She can turn and handle them canoes like the pro she is. And I could stay with her, about a canoe length behind, going upstream, but downstream, she just ran away, for some reason or other, my canoe always headed straight for the cattails.