My first excellent adventure

From a newbie
Congratulations! Sounds like you did great.

Its helpful to me to hear things like this - that despite paddling WITH the current on the way back (correct?) that the wind was strong enough to blow you backwards if you weren’t paddling. Wow.

Current?
Well, yes, I suppose. Although this is a man-made lake with a dam and once I got upriver on the way out, it was VERY calm and I had very little trouble paddling against the current, if there was any. So coming back, I guess I would have been with the current . . . but I doubt that it was much of a factor. The wind in my face was a different story.

This all happened two days ago and I was very curious to see if I was going to be particularly sore. Not really. I got no blisters on my hands. My forearms are fine. Shoulders fine. Legs ok although that may be where I feel some aftereffects.

Back is ok from getting the boat on and off the SUV. That is what I was most worried about. Using the Thule saddles and bathmat method.

Pride is shattered for dumping on exit.

Enter -Exit at Dock
More often than not, a dock is what I use. Most advice I’ve seen says to mostly use your arms to pull yourself-up. Works if you got strength … A rope to secure the boat first is a nice help. But if you can’t do either, try to position the kayak so that the wind/current push it against two pillars so that it won’t rotate or move much. Then use your hands to only steady the boat and rely on your legs to do the pushing-up. Nothing wrong with this in calm water. With a long cocpit as yours, you should be able to pull your heels bak to your seat, and if you are flexible, just roll forward as if standing-up from a seated position on the ground. Use hands only for balance…, Then, straighten-up and crawl as gracefully as you can on the doc :wink: or if you got the strength, push up with your arms for a more athletic exit without kneeling or crawling :wink:

sounds like a wonderful day!