my first kayak-need suggestions

Been a while
I didn’t quite get fit when I first encountered the boat, but if Scenic fits it’d do. My question would be whether at 5’7" she might be a little tall to find it comfy, though the 145 pounds should be fine. My recall is simply too fuzzy to be sure either way.

Perhaps Marshall can comment? He’s put a lot of people into these boats. And Sing had this boat.

I am not sure that a super light layup is necessarily the best bet if she is thinking of islands in Maine - there’s little sand on those things. But again, to get started and support skills work, it’d do fine.

mystic
I had looked at the Mystic a couple weeks ago (online). It’s listed as being for people up to 5’6", but perhaps one inch doesn’t matter much. It’s fiberglass, and lighter, and the link you sent me has a good price. I will add it to my list of boats to try out (and this one may be gone by then but others may come up).

The fiberglass is nice weight-wise, but I admit I might still be kind of hard on boats since I am not that experienced a paddler yet. Last summer in the Delaware Water Gap the water was quite low in places but the current still strong, so the plastic rental I had scuffed over rocks here and there. I wouldn’t be too happy to do that with my own fiberglass boat!

yes it was hell
that pain started within 15 minutes of paddling. The boat size definitely had to do with it, the thighbraces were more over my knees, and the rudder pegs were indeed floppy. I ended up paddling most the time with my legs stretched out in between the braces, which was not comfortable either. It’s hard to control a kayak that way. Luckily the area is SO beautiful that it took my mind off it.

My husband liked the boat, was getting into leaning it. When I leaned, basically nothing happened!

I will definitely take the small towels to pad out the demos. Good suggestion. It’s making my very optimistic to think that if I managed to paddle the Maine coast in such a wrong-sized boat for me, it will be so much easier and more fun in one that fits!

atlantic kayak
I just happened on their web site today (googling Avocet) and it looked impressive. They’re all the way up in Saugerties, right?

The first demo session I am going to is in Beacon (friends arranged it, I forgot the name of the place). I was also going to go to the Jersey Paddler (much closer to us). Have you done demos there? They said they do them in a pond, 20 mins per boat. What I liked about the Beacon place is you demo in the Hudson, which is more challenging water, so it gives you a better feel for how the boat handles. I think you get an hour per boat there, which is great.

I am hoping to paddle Sandy Hook and Barnegat Bay this summer. How is it? Which do you prefer and why? I’d want to go with a guide/group to get used to the area. Any recommendations?

As for being solitary, well, sometimes out of necessity. My husband is not always available to go, and I don’t yet have a network of kayaking friends. It’ll be easier once I have a boat cause then I can join local Sierra Club and AMC trips more easily. I’m sure I can find people to help by the water, but you still have to load and unload the boat at home…

AKT

– Last Updated: Apr-27-07 6:47 PM EST –

Altantic Kayak Tours runs the Paddling center in Annsville, which is just north of Peekskill and south of Beacon. They are a great outfit.

For what you want to do the Avocet is a very good choice for about 90% of what you want to do.

The only thing it won't do well is run class 2 rivers. It will do lakes, oceans, and camping very, very well. It could also be your last boat! That is, you won't outgrow it.

The Avocet (and similar boats) are what you should be looking at.

Pretty much, all boats of a given length and material will weigh about the same. Rudders add a few pounds.

just got off the phone with AKT
they also mentioned a P&H Capella as similar to Avocet and Romany. They have all three to demo.

AKT is great
Bill and Janice run a great operation. Ask all the questions you can think of and demo all the boats that might work for you. BTW they also happen to have a couple of Elaho DSs one in composite and one in plastic.

They are also a BCU training center.

same interest as Scenic
All-

Sorry for tagging onto Scenic’s post but I’ve been following the reponses to her post fairly closely given that I’m in similar circumstances. Some of you assisted me last Fall when I was thinking of updating from a rec kayak to something more capable of handling more difficult conditions if they should occur. In early summer I’m considering taking a class or two on Mt.Desert Island, Me. I’ve come to understand the importance of at least learning better self rescue skills.- not sure if I ever want to learn how to roll though- time will tell!

Scenic- please email me if you would like to compare notes. We are close to the same height and weight and interest in boats, I think. I paddle primarily solo as well and understand your weight of boat concerns.

Thanks to all who continue to repeat and repeat the messages of safety in kayaking on this board. It occurs to me at times that it must be frustrating to all you seasoned paddlers to keep helping out us newbies! Nice work.

5’7" , 145lbs
the 17’ Tern is good for 200lb paddlers and would present more windage and volume than she needs, the AT14 is a better choice.

The Chesapeakes are a somewhat flawed design in that they don’t respond to a lean as most four panel designs do. It’s not a matter of stiff tracking, it’s that the degree of weathercocking they exhibit cannot be correct with a lean as most four panel kayaks. The Merganser/Shearwaters are a better choice.

Mystic
Hi Celia, course I can comment on the Mystic. It would work fine unless Scenic turns out to feel the need for speed then it’d be a Force 3. Also on the tryout list would be a Montauk, P&H Vela & Capella 160.

Oh, add a Hullavator. Jeeps can be tall and boats don’t get lighter with time. Let something else do the loading for you.

See you on the water,

Marshall

www.the-river-connection.com

Hyde Park, NY

Mystic is excellent
and plenty strong. Very efficient, good handling kayak for smaller paddlers. The difference in weight reflects Impex’s quality lay-up. Heavy does not necessarily mean strong. I’ve owned many boats from many manufacturers. My Impex’s held up as well as any of my Brit boats. So take that concern out of the equation. Paddle a bunch and wait until you’re through with lessons before deciding. People here are very helpful, but also biased toward their favorite brands. Seek advice from several specialty shops who carry verious brands, paddle a lot. Buy the one that does it for you regardless of the logo on it.

Rolling
"not sure if I ever want to learn how to roll though"

Sure you do! It’s fun!

That too…

Chicks
Isn’t it interesting that when a Girl posts the replies increase?