My first time on a sit on top

I think there are a couple things some of you are missing.
One, a long skinny boat can be more stable than a short wide boat.
Two, not having sides is more the problem that the hull size or shape. Not being able to use my7 knees or thighs to stabilize myself is a problem.
I watched a video some guy made about getting off and on an SOT and he almost tipped over.

I can barely walk on land without a cane or a walker. In most kayaks I have little problem with stability and my COG is higher than most.
My S18S gave me a little trouble but the V7 none.
It ain’t the boat.

2 Likes

If you feel like you need the thigh support then I’d say SOT is not for you. Personally I have yet to find a reasonably priced sit-in that I can fit in comfortably and not have my hips cramp (I’m 6’4", 220#) so it might just be a “different strokes” kind of situation.

As far as the video you mention, what kind of SOT were they using? Because we all but throw ourselves into our boats without the slightest concern of tipping.

If you do decide to stick with SOTs maybe research ones that have exceptional secondary stability

You missed the point of my post.

I know very few people ever want to work their way up to mastering a 17-18" boat in rough conditions. My point is any boat can be stable if you train for it and any boat can be unstable if you are untrained. Thus, unless you’re in a pontoon boat, it is incumbent upon the paddler to decide how much work they’re willing to put into balance and choose an appropriately stable boat.

Any in almost all cases, a wider boat will be more stable than a skinnier boat, assuming its not over-loaded or under-loaded. Length may have some effect in waves, but on flat-ish water Beam is king of stability.

If you’re overloaded its another story. Then a longer boat of the same beam will have more volume and provide more stability because the wetted area and hull profile meets the design intent.

A wide SOT with exceptional secondary stability? I would like to see a list of those.

I know of skinny SOTs with decent secondary stability (i.e. Cobra Expedition) when using thigh straps, but a wide SOT with exceptional secondary stability is about like finding a unicorn.

1 Like

WS Tarpon. I’ve had it out in 20kt wind and 3’ swells. It was a serious fight but never tossed me .With thigh straps.

1 Like

The bad conditions never tossed you probably because you are a good paddler who is on the water regularly if not more often.

Love my current Tarpon 140, as I did my Tarpon 120, but I would not consider either to have “exceptional” secondary stability (primary - yes) and cannot imagine paddling a SOT without thigh straps. A Tarpon’s secondary stability is probably noticeably better than big box store SOTs.

Perhaps I am too accustomed to the exceptional secondary stability of sea kayaks or borrowing my buddy’s Cobra Expedition which can sit on edge as if it is a sea kayak.

What’s the benefit of thigh straps? Never heard of them until this thread

They are used in SOT because you have no deck to brace against. In bumpy water they keep you attached to the boat.

3 Likes

Ah gotcha. Thank you. I assume that’s for river kayaking. Tahoe chop can get bad but never had an issue staying in place and in control.

More Like ocean kayaking if we’re still talking thigh straps. I guess they could be used if there is a lot of turning required, like creeking.

1 Like

Makes sense as to why I’ve never seen them. I’m nowhere near the ocean or decent rivers. Just alpine lakes

Big lakes quickly turn into ocean-like coastal conditions when the winds kick in. Same skills needed even in fresh water at elevation.

1 Like

Here’s my final point.
Suppose that most experienced boaters would consider the SOT I bought to be stable.
Well, then I guess I better either stop paddling or get something even more stable.
If you don’t like Jeeps, the solution is to not buy a Jeep.
If you don’t like spicy food, the solution is to not eat spicy food.
If I don’t like unstable boats, the solution is to not buy an unstable boat.
You won’t see me paddling through class four rapids. I have no desire to do that.
But I’ve done two multiday trips on Lake Powell, one in a seakayak and one in a canoe. I’ve done four Boundary Waters trips, encountering some big lakes in windy conditions. I’ve done quite a few multiday trips down rivers, including the Missouri, the Green and the Colorado. I’m not totally without skills or experience.

@SOTconvert

How long has it been since you did the trips you describe? I can think of two things which could have made you find the SOT unnerving comparted to earlier experiences.

One is that it was a SOT and not a SINK of any kind. Personally I feel uncomfortable in a boat without the skirt being on. I am just so used to it. You may have felt overly exposed from not having the sides of a boat around you.
The other is a normal effect of aging - the part of our system that maintains a sense of balance gets less reliable unless you make an effort to maintain it.

Either of the above would have left you feeling more tense and at risk than you remember from earlier experiences.

1 Like

There is a lot of truth to the balance issue you mentioned and ageing. I used to run up a 20’ ladder and on to a roof without giving it a thought. Now at 65 about 10’ is my limit and I don’t feel comfortable at that. I also have gained some weight over the years and you become more top heavy. It doesn’t take much to change your center of gravity.

Then there is the boat the OP is not liking and honestly it is a $350 short fishing SOT and they are very common around here on small lakes and ponds and our creek and almost everyone I see with one is fishing on it and have rigged pontoons DIY. Most have also raised the seat and added a stadium seat as well. I question how early they get on the water in the spring but they don’t venture far out and seem to stay dry.

We just bought a small rec kayak for her and I was strongly recommending a SOT and for the reasons you mentioned she just didn’t like the feeling of nothing around her along with the couple inches you sit higher.

All kayaks are somewhat tippy ((side to side) not moving and when you wiggle your hips. When moving and paddling almost any kayak will NOT be tippy with proper paddling strokes and body form unless the paddler is twichy and not relaxed.

You sure you just didn’t mature? :smile: Head injuries can also alter ones sense of balance.

My mother told me more than once I had a thick skull and years later my dentist confirmed it with an X-ray. But I have more than my share of head smacks in my day so maybe. As to maturing I’m still working on that.

1 Like

Maturation is best put off at a latter date. Always.

1 Like