My Name is CaptainOllieWest and I Paddle a Coleman

According to the brochure, they are white water boats … :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

The amount of Coleman branded stuff is mind boggling!

I watched two people almost drown in a coleman canoe when it wrapped on a bridge pylon in a rapid and trapped their feet. Only thing that saved them was that we held their heads out of the water by their hair until the current broke the seat support and they finally popped out.

My favorite sighting of a Coleman was one high & dry on the rocks river left at Double Hydraulic on the Lower Yough. I have no idea how it got that far let alone if humans had piloted it during a portion of it’s trip.

1 Like

Wow! Glad you were there!

Here is an interesting Coleman story.

You can ring this one up as a time when it was used where it would perform best. Deep moving water. Hope there weren’t any portages though.

1 Like

We have a green one. Quite light. Probably about 40 years old. We also keep it at camp. Did one repair when the plastic split at the gunnel. Melted a bit of a plastic coffee can to patch it. Color was a pretty good match.

1 Like

Went camping this weekend. Noticed I have a Coleman chair, hatchet, lantern, portable grill … heck I even have a Coleman air compressor in my shop!

Almost forgot the obligatory Coleman lantern. The propane kind; haven’t had a white gas appliance in years.

I relied on the propane stove and lantern connected to a mast, but also used the white gas single burner and lantern for less bulky fuel. The single burner was great on winter day trips for soup and tea.

1 Like

I have all that stuff too as well as a Coleman, thermo electric cooler that’s 24 years old and still works great and a 40 year old Propane Catalytic heater that still works (if by works, you mean potentially asphyxiating people) and a Coleman Lantern Series 16 FB Travel Trailer that I absolutely love.

1 Like

Other companies make better camping gear, but the price is good. Best of all, the gear you use today with your children isn’t much different than the gear used by your grandfather. In some cases, it may even.be the same. Expensive typically means better. Then sometimes, some things are just what you need, because its just a good value.

1 Like

My favorite Coleman item is the magnetic base fan that uses 1 D battery. Put it on the ceiling of your tent on a hot night and by 3 am you end up shivering and have to turn it off.

1 Like