My Next Waveski/Kayak Hauler... Maybe

Ok, I’ll take the word of “Mother Google.” It’s too much for my “liberal arts” mind otherwise! :face_with_spiral_eyes: :exploding_head:

sing

1 Like

Big part of hybrid efficiency is that the electric motor gets the vehicle moving instead of a gas engine operating at it’s point of lowest efficiency. Hybrids also enable a smaller gas engine since it gets help from an electric motor. The technologies don’t help highway fuel economy much at all. I’d love a plug-in hybrid since even their short electric range would cover most of my needs but you’re paying for a bigger battery plus a gas engine so they aren’t inexpensive. I think you’re a candidate for a short range pure EV and so am I. The Bolt is no longer in production and it sure seems like the manufacturers have no incentive to offer low cost EV’s to folks in the U.S. given their record profits and growing EV sales.

1 Like

Well, that’s a bummer. Hopefully, we’ll get some US Ev models that are smaller than SUVs, but bigger than a Vespa (is that US?) to haul my toys!

sing

VW’s ID 4 is made in Chattanooga is marginally larger than the Golf. It should be available for < $40K after applying the $7500 federal tax credit. However, the the claimed range of the base model is just over 200 mi. That doesn’t do it for me given that it will be significantly less than that in the winter (and it takes 7 1/2 hrs to charge). A somewhat more reasonable range (275 mi claimed) and faster charging option adds at least $5K to the price. As one who lives in the rural north, I see no pure EVs that are ready for prime time.

Yeah, still a ways to go for EV charging infrastructure nationally. Luckily, in my specific urban/suburban context, there is more and more infrastructure every year. Given that I don’t drive much and rarely long distance (these days), 150 mile range is more than I really need in even a given week. Ironically, I just put in solar on my roof (took almost a year from picking a company to now - don’t know why) but declined the EV charger connection. I think I am going to regret that latter decision.

Again, I hope for more options before I go the EV route (I think my solar helps reduce my carbon footprint since my heating and hotwater systems were oil).

sing

The Chevy Bolt will live on. GM will re-introduce it on their Ultium platform.

1 Like