Narrow, maneuverable SOT

kids and tippy boats
One thing to remember is that just because a boat is tippy to one person doesn’t mean it’s tippy to all people. To a 6’0" 200lb adult a boat might be very tippy to begin with and to a 5’2" 100lb youngster it might be as stable as a supertanker. Don’t be afraid to explore very narrow boat options(22" beam and narrower). Who knows, by the time she’s an adult, she might be a pretty accomplished paddler able to handle any boat made.

Scupper is way too big for a small 13 yo

RTM Disco,Ocean Kayak Mars and Vensus

– Last Updated: Jun-30-08 8:07 PM EST –

I bought an RTM Disco last year and even paddled it once or twice. I think it would be way cool for someone your daughter's size. I liked it myself, but it doesn't have quite enough capacity for a 200#+ boater.

I am hanging on to it for my grand daughter, or in case I lose some more weight. (LOL!, but I have lost about 20# since I last paddled it)

It is 14' long by 26" wide, but a totally different hull shape than the Scupper pro, and it weighs less.

A couple of downsides to the Disco: One is they are made in France and only imported into south Florida. I paid about $190 for shipping, but the boat only coast about $600-700, so still under $1,000.

But this means there is no way to try it before you buy it....

Also, there is no scupper in the seat, so if it gets wet, it stays wet. It is generally a wet ride. If you are wearing a wetsuit, it doesn't make that much difference.

OK MARS

The reason most of the boats in my fleet get so little use is that I take my Ocean Kayak Mars on about 90% of my trips. It is a little 13' boat with a nice hull shape. It is not fast by any means, but I love it for rock gardens and sea caves. It is very easy to handle on and off the water.

They don't make it anymore, so you have to find used, if you can. It wasn't an expensive boat new, so it should be really cheap used. Problem is I have never seen a used one for sale.

OK VENUS

I bought one of these for my wife and it doesn't have enough capacity, and it is really slow. We gave it to our grand daughter, but I think she is ready to move up. I would not recommend it

MALIBU 4.4

I was interested in one of these myself. Again, not enouogh capacity for a 200# guy, but it might be great for a 100# boater

Hurricane Phoenix 120
We have two for the grandkids and visitors and everyone fights over them. Very lightweight and durable and they track surprisingly well compared to our sit insides. My brother and husband are slightly over 200 lbs and the Phoenix 120 plows too much for those big guys but the rest of us are pretty pleased. Have rented many a Scupper Pro and they are very nice too.

RTM Disco
The RTM Disco is a nice kayak, especially for lighter paddlers. I own several that my girlfriend and I use in the ocean and river. I have owned a Scupper Pro, Ocean Kayak Sprinter, surfski, sea kayaks, etc. but the Disco is unusual in having the lines of a sea kayak but in a plastic inexpensive SOT. If you lean it it turns well and is efficient paddling at normal cruising speeds. I also handles well going out thru the surf.