Navigatable river or tresspassing?

If they can own a river, I can own you.

Mackinaw river accesses closed.

– Last Updated: Jun-25-04 11:08 PM EST –

Just got a post from a club member telling of a change in the situation on the Mackinaw River in IL. Long story, but several bridge accesses are posted and the state troopers are patrolling and issuing tickets. They closed access beause of underage drinkers and a portable meth lab that was hanging out at these access spots. I'll try to post the link for the story.

Here's the link:
http://rivers-end.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=28

Thanks Pamskee
I’ve heard the “Locals” weren’t too hospitable during the transition to Ozark National Scenic Riverways status. I didn’t start paddling until '80. Not a problem any longer. Hope you can join us at the next Rendevous! WW

That’s just brilliant …
Close the river accesses, and ticket boaters with trespass; that will solve the problem of underage drinking, and meth production. If you close down river accesses they’ll have “nowhere else” to go to drink or produce meth. Problem solved! How very innovative; why didn’t anyone ever think of that before? Truly genius at work in Illinois.

Catch an underage kid drinking in a church parking lot, hospital parking lot, school parking lot; just shut em down & put up some no trespass signs.

BOB

BOB----I like your idea. lol
I’m going to suggest that they keep the accesses open and turn the Mackinaw club and other paddlers loose to help patrol the area. If paddlers start watching for this stuff and turn in the offenders they may be able to make some headway. It’s particularly ignorant to close the accesses since most people don’t canoe at night and that’s when most of the illegal activity takes place.

Why Not Close the Access…
…after dark? I know they make signs with such warnings as “This area closes after dark. ___fine for violators.” Then, the sherrif’s dept and IL State police could use a little judgment on who to fine for violating the rule. WW

That’s entirely too sensible…
It seems like it would work. Folks who would be parked overnight for a multiday trip could get a permit or prearrange with the local law.

Don’t miss my point …
Just because a no trespass sign is posted at a river access, or “anywhere” for that matter, does not mean lawbreakers will not trespass. The key word is “lawbreakers”!

All the Illinois bureaucrats accomplished by posting no trespass signs at river accesses was create an unnecessary problem/hassle for the law abiding users of the river access. They are being punished because of the actions of law breakers.

Underage drinking is a violation of laws “already” on the books. Enforce those laws.

An added inducement to get the kids to “fall into line”; everytime they are arrested for underage drinking, fine the parents $500.00.

The production of methamphetamine is a violation of laws “already” on the books.

Enforce those laws. Give them a fair trial & hang them in the courthouse square after they are convicted. None of them serve any positive purpose in society.

No trespass signs do not hamper the movement of criminals; they are merely an aggravation to them. Unless the area where the signs are posted is aggressively patrolled, it’s business as usual; either there, or at another location. Put up no trespass signs at every river access in the state of Illinois; will that solve underage drinking & meth production? Not!

Put a no trespass sign in every window of your vehicle. Drive to your local police department. Park your vehicle in a parking area close to the police department, with the windows open, and the doors unlocked. Leave a thousand dollars neatly stacked on your vehicle’s dashboard. Leave your vehicle there overnight. Don’t worry; the no trespass sign, and the close proximity to the police department will stop the criminals.

BOB