NDK Pilgrim?

interesting boat
What are the dimensions for the boat? Width and Length? How much is it going to go for?

Like/dislike relationship

– Last Updated: Sep-29-09 10:46 AM EST –

Otterslide, I had to smile when I saw that your wife has a conflicted relationship with the Vela. It is my primary go to boat these days because of its spiffy response, but all of that is despite some real inconveniences in the details.

The nice thing about this thread is that it is loaded with comments from people who are about my size and who have sat in the same boats as I have tried. I just haven't got any time in an Excite S - no day hatch so it just isn't worth the drive and hassle for me.

I am a little unsure of the results re acceleration in the Pilgrim versus the Avocet LV. I am particularly interested in the response from someone who also paddles a Vela, but I seem to be seeing two opinions above. Clarity?

What would really round this out would be if anyone who has tried the Pilgrim and the Avocet LV could get in a comparison to the Cetus LV... anyone able to do that?

15’9” long and 20” wide
http://shop.aldercreek.com/Touring-Kayaks/Performance-Touring-Kayaks/Pilgrim-C50-i562129.html

I would guess the price is the same as other NDK (SKUK) boats.

Full measures: http://seakayakuk.com/index.php/The-Kayaks/The-Sea-Kayaks/The-Pilgrim.html

Working on it!
I have been paddling a Vela for 9 years. It’s a love/tolerate relationship for me, but has served me well and I have no intention of getting rid of it any time soon. I have never thought it was “tippy” and have loved it’s secondary stability, although it’s not the fastest kayak I’ve ever met.

On the other hand, I’ve just picked up an Avocet LV and so far love it, just as I did when I demoed it in Grand Marais last year. I think it could still be a bit smaller…I’m 5’4" and 118, but I also paddle an extremely low volume SOF and that has altered my thinking on fit. What I would have liked to see on the Avocet LV is an ocean cockpit and lower back deck, but it still fits the bill. It could even be narrower. I will be padding out the cockpit before this week end. Unlike many women, I don’t have anything extra in the hip area (no butt) and I need better thigh contact that the thin foam they provided gives me. It’s a bit faster on flat water than the Vela, but I haven’t had the opportunity to see how it responds in lumpy water. Hopefully this week end will change that.

I would now like to try out the Pilgrim as well, maybe there will be one at Tybee in October?

As far as the Cetus LV, I haven’t paddled it, but I did sit in it and it was a nice fit. I am planning to try it out sometime this fall or next spring, but I’m anxious to hear what others have to say about it.

When I purchased my first kayak in 2000, there were not many choices for wee folks and I waited for the Vela to arrive so I could get into a kayak that fit me. It’s exciting to see the change in attitude and the effort being made to accommodate smaller paddlers with high quality kayaks.

Good thread, lots of helpful input.

Sharon

Suppose I have paddled it…
I would either love it, or hate it. But I can’t be both (love AND hate it), can it?

Basically that person regreted buying it. Is it unfair to share that opinion? Would you have felt the same way had I said “I heard it’s a great boat to fit everyone”?

That person own an Romany Explorer LV prior to that.

This board is full of praises of all boats. It’s up to the reader to judge how much they want to value the opinion, which I made abundenly clear was second hand. But NOT sharing would defeat the purpose of any discussion forum.

Second the Avocet LV cockpit fit
The only reason I didn’t walk off the shop with an Avocet LV was the cockpit/seat fit. I’ve had better contact in other “regular” volume boats.

Not that the Avocet LV is that bad. But it really could have been better. I’m on the skinny side alright but I’m not that “small”. I found the cockpit on the big side by quite a lot. So I was wondering what really “small” women think of the cockpit. I guess I know the answer now.

Maybe wait for a year or two? Hope Valley will change it for the better…

Fit of Av-lv
There are similar issues with the Vela, although it’s more with the height of the foredeck (13", what the heck for?) and I don’t feel like it’s too wide, although it’s a slightly wider kayak than the Avocet LV. Must be the seat design? Everyone has a different shape, but I don’t think I’m the only one with a problem getting a kayak to fit. I’ve added a piece of foam under each hip pad in the Avocet, which feels just about right and, since I don’t have time before the trip north tomorrow to work on padding for thighs, I’m just going to play around with a 1/2" piece of foam as a masik. I will let ya know how the surfin’ goes in in the AVCT-LV after the week end.

Sharon

Pilgrim Expedition?
Any news about the Pilgrim Expedition? Is it in production yet? It will be interesting to see how it compares to the Tiderace Xplore_S

Eddyline Fathom LV?

– Last Updated: Oct-02-09 2:01 PM EST –

Any comments on Fathom LV's performance and fit versus the Pilgrim, Avocet LV and other boats being discussed here?
It has some conceivable advantages: price and weight.
Almost impossible to find this boat in NC but there's a dealer in Virginia.
Ginger in NC

Please excuse this post if it duplicates another I was composing but lost.

Pilgrim
Hi all,

I am new to this forum, and I would be interested to hear of any comments about the Impex Force 3, which is the boat I paddle, compared to the Pilgrim.

Lyn

hearsay vs own opinion
for sure, but that post was hearsay, not the person’s own opinion. Otherwise, sure, say anything.

actually i don’t give a hoot : > )

Pilgrim versus Romany LV
Curious if your wife has paddled the Romany LV and how she feels it compares to the Pilgrim. I have heard that the Pilgrim is 2 inches narrower than the Romany LV, but the cockpit is slightly larger, including knee bumps to accommodate a wide range of paddlers. I am considering both boat, but have only been in the LV and love the fit, especially the thigh contact.