Near death is a a few feet away.

Reading 101
OK - I am probably nuts to get into this but the canoe bashing is way over the top, even if I am a kayaker these days.

It at least indicates some serious reading impairment. Re the posts from Jim -

"This thread is about somebody who died in a canoe. "

Huh??? No one died in this post. There is another where someone did, but it ain’t this one.

And neither the other post or this one were anywhere near the ocean. The stretch of the Hudson in this post is a good 100 miles north of NYC harbor. (Should I add map reading to the skills issues?)

I happen to agree that most white (non-native) people probably aren’t likely to have the skills to do the ocean in a kayak. But in the Adirondacks just an hour and a half north of me, canoes are still king in lake to lake chain trips because they portage a heck of a lot better than kayaks.

Is it possible this is just an annoying executed troll from Jimetc? The response is way too far over the top to be in the realm of sane discourse.

Pretty much a lurker on this board, but
the one thing I have learned here is to ignore most of what Jim 3727 posts. If he believed in God, he would then declare himself the same.

Evans, great article. Thank you.

Canoes - “Very Limited Uses”???

– Last Updated: May-11-05 10:21 PM EST –

Curious as to what the "... very limited uses" of canoes might mean, compared to kayaks - seems to me, with a mere 25 years of paddling canoes and five in 'yaks behind me, that a canoe is easily the more versatile of the two. Try putting two adults, two kids, a dog, and camping gear for a three day trip aboard a 'yak; try running even a mild rapid in a "tracks like it's mounted on rails" sea kayak; try carting the sort of freight (couple of quarters of moose, for example) a Prospector can swallow without a burp in a 'yak; try taking a geriatric aunt or a handicapped child out for a spin in a single 'yak...
I think of our canoes as station wagons, capable of doing many useful things without much fuss or bother. Our kayaks are sports cars, capable of doing less much but with far more flair.
Noted in Jim's profile that he describes himself as a beginner; that's cool, 'cause we're all beginners in a certain sense every time we put paddle to water. In this neck of the ocean, tho, we 'beginners' tend to take the old saying 'Live and Learn" and turn it around when it comes to surviving afloat. And an open and inquiring mind is a prerequisite to learning.

jim3727
it’s your asinine remarks about undecked boats that is getting tiresome. You’re still fairly new to this board and a beginner at that yet you are sprinkling your smart ass remarks every chance you get about undecked, unfinished, “standard” hull etc. etc. and it’s time for you to take your little beginners bad attitude away from the keyboard and shut the hell up.

Try reading posts for awhile and get a couple of years under your belt in all sort of small craft then make a few comments. Seriously, give it some real thought there 3727.

If you live in Florida Jim
you are truly missing out on so many paddling opportunities if you don’t own a canoe as well as a kayak.

We are blessed with year round great weather and beautiful rivers, estuaries and oceans to explore. As far as seaworthiness, the indians who lived here before us used to travel from the gulf coast to Cuba for trade in open canoes. It’s about knowing the weather, your boat and skills. And, it can get pretty ugly out in the gulf and atlantic waters as ugly as the description in Evan’s post. Heck, it’s pretty rough in the bays when the bad weather comes it won’t matter if it’s a canoe or kayak if you don’t have the right skills and good judgement.

Do yourself a favor, get a canoe too!

hey, lighten up
This is a place for differing opinions . I tried canoes a long time ago. I didn’t like them. and I don’t think they are nearly as neat as kayaks. So what? You are acting as if I just insulted your deceased grandmother. Jeez. Get a grip. I don’t like canoes. I listed my reasons. Get over it.

This is so amusing. Some of you people have been stroking yourselves so long here, you forget what a forum is all about. I made not one single personal attack. But you loonies come out of the woodwork as soon as I state a preference for a boat or a place or a piece of gear. Don’t take it so personally. I am not attacking you. I am opining. Convince me I am wrong or ignore me. But whining and name calling like a 10 year old is a waste of time. Unless you are 10 year olds.

you are a camper
A canoe is probably well suited for that activity. I am not a camper and am interested in other aspects of this activity. Enjoy your canoe.

Twittery invites mockery
Nobody takes you seriously, nobody gets all bent when you do your little wank-fests on any thread involving canoes or non-flat water, nobody really cares all that much. People respond to you in the same way they respond to a guy who walks out of the bathroom trailing toilet paper out of the back of his pants. It’s just a little harmless fun. Usually it’s bad form to make fun of the handicapped, but since you keep begging for it, people keep obliging you. Stop saying stupid stuff and people will stop making fun of you. Simple.

Me an expert? Never said that!
I am just another paddler with preferences. They may change. They may not. Some may be different from yours. Some may not. You don’t have to agree with me but neither is there cause for offense. A more interesting topic than canoes and kayaks is why people like you have such strong knee-jerk reactions to differing opinions.

you are right about
some responses being over the top…and I am not referring to mine.

I was enjoying it
and so were others, perhaps. You obviously were not. Seriously, you need to pull that canoe paddle out of your rear and loosen up a little.

Thank you I will!
I actually use my kayak for camping trips to the coastal islands. Use my canoe as well. Anyway,to each his own.

So why do you have
such a strong knee-jerk reaction to the widely-held opinion that you’re a clueless twit?