Neck gasket on kokatat suits?

wow…lots of different oponions here on
this… i think she has already sent it back…i suggested waiting to go to a local kayak symposium and talk to the reps from kokatat and such and then make a decision and maybe get better pricing because of show deals. this was an extra large suit and the neck was still a killer…she has an average size neck i would say. i share with my other half and we have a kokatat tropos…the neck is not tight enough for me. was thinking of making a neoprene neck myself (sorta like a neck warmer) and putting it on then the dry suit. it would snug it up i think. i’m gonna give it a test run.

Durabilty, Comfort, Reliability

– Last Updated: Mar-23-10 7:08 PM EST –

Latex was developed during world war II when there was a shortage of rubber and it served it's purpose. It has very limited prolonged applications when exposed to the environment. My friends and myself have been enjoying the use of neoprene gaskets for a few years now and it makes reading these post kind of primitive. It does seem that some of the drysuit manufacturers are working more with neoprene. One day they'll get it right.

Neck Gaskets
As the Reed Chillcheater distributor in North America, I have a repair shop here in Washington. We routinely replace latex gaskets with Reed Aquatherm material. PU coated poly yarn that is impervious to ultra violet, most chemicals and very sewable. Custom fit as well. Perfect for people that are negatively affected by latex.$50 +shipping for neck and $50 + shipping for two cuffs.

Xlarge suit and too tight?
Those suits are tall as well as big, and come with a commensurately sized neck gasket. If she was a fit for it she is truly large person, and maybe the neck matches.

Or - she needs a moment to get used to the feeling. Not saying this is your friend, but I have a relative who finds cotton turtleneck tops choking tight. We could easily have her turn red and feel like she was gasping for air with a nice turtleneck from Lands End, regardless of how much pressure it was actually exerting.

stretch it.
Put the neck over a 1 gallon pail and leave it for a few days, Spray with 303 and you should be grand.

That is what I have to do with all my neck seals and I use a beer bottle to stretch the odd cuff. (once)

You’ve got that backwards
Latex is natural rubber and it’s been around for a LOT longer than 1940’s. Synthetic rubber was developed during the war, as latex for making rubber was in short supply.

Is there sizing info online somewhere?
What sizes are the Reed seals available in? My girlfriend’s suit is in need of neck and wrist seals, and she’s interested in trying something other than latex. I’ll be installing them, so would you be willing to sell them on an “exchangeable basis”, so she could try them on her neck and wrists and exchange them for another size if necessary?

Stretching it
I received my suit yesterday and based on what the Kokatat literature stated I decided to stretch the neck gasket over a 3 liter soda bottle overnight and go from there. I did try the suit on prior to stretching just to see how snug it was, not to bad as my voice did not change nor did my face turn red and I was able to breath.

Obviously :wink:

Leave it on a pot or something slightly larger than her neck for a few days. Still tight trim ring or two off and wear it for 10-20 minutes. Mine still feels snug after trimming for the first 5 minutes they it feels good.